Elk/Deer Rifle performance

Anyway if your going 24" I would go 30 nosler it will shoot 2900 with 215 and shoot comfortably with a ti pro 5 port. I just built exact gun not long ago for a guy. Mesa and anti his was 24" suppressed but it was shooting 205 elites around 2950.

Edit. Should note if you dont reload id go 300 prc they have better factory ammo.
If I go the 30 cal route it would be a 30 nosler or 300 prc and I would be getting a ti pro 5 brake as well. I do reload

I have both that are just over 8 pounds with a heavy Mk5 5-25. One in 7 saum and the other in 30-28 nosler which is being built now to replace a heavier 30 nosler.

If I'm chasing elk it's going to be a big 30 slinging a large heavy vld every day.

7 saum used at 647 last year on a nm muley.

20221116_090943.jpg

Last edited:
This is a good option.

It's always been the velocity I shoot for when building a hunting rifle
If you're a light bullet fast mpbr hunter I get it. Or if you shoot monos or hard bullets that need speed.

Op however is looking at super heavy for caliber match bullets that expand to low velocities. In that concept Upping your velocity extends your range above velocity threshold, but that's about it imo, and one can enter estimate velocities into a ballistic calculator to figure out how fast you need to drive a given bullet to encapsulate your intended range.

I'm not saying start a 225 at 2400. I'm saying look up what a win mag will do at 2850 and if you're not going past 1k on game I bet you're covered.

If you want it because you want it that's fine too

So I'm gonna build a 8lb mountain rifle. This has been a year of buying and selling barrels cause I keep changing my mind on caliber. I have a 300 rum that I have used the last 5 years and it's a great rifle but want to build something lighter. I have it stuck in my head that I need a big 30 cal for elk. Is the 30 cal king for elk in all aspects or will the 7 saum or 7 prc work just as good? I also think I need to have a rifle that shoots 3k fps or more. I have had this ocd on large magnums and speed for too long.

Does the mass with the 30 cal on a 225 eldm vs a 180 berger or eldm kill a lot faster than a 180 7mm? I would like to be able to spot my own shots also cause I do hunt solo a lot too. I did buy a new TI pro 5 for the rum to try.
This gun will be for longrange if need be.

I have the antiX in a LA mag boltface and a Mesa stock, it will have a hindged floor plate with a proof barrel 24"
On a funner level, when and where is your elk hunt? Have you hunted the buggers b4?

So I'm gonna build a 8lb mountain rifle. This has been a year of buying and selling barrels cause I keep changing my mind on caliber. I have a 300 rum that I have used the last 5 years and it's a great rifle but want to build something lighter. I have it stuck in my head that I need a big 30 cal for elk. Is the 30 cal king for elk in all aspects or will the 7 saum or 7 prc work just as good? I also think I need to have a rifle that shoots 3k fps or more. I have had this ocd on large magnums and speed for too long.

Does the mass with the 30 cal on a 225 eldm vs a 180 berger or eldm kill a lot faster than a 180 7mm? I would like to be able to spot my own shots also cause I do hunt solo a lot too. I did buy a new TI pro 5 for the rum to try.

I have the antiX in a LA mag boltface and a Mesa stock, it will have a hindged floor plate with a proof barrel 24"
The 300 RUM is fine but I'd keep a 26" barrel with a 8 twist. I run 250 Atips at 2985 average fps. I milled the action back on the rear bridge. Opened the bottom up for 4.020" max COAL mag box, and milled the bolt stop, on a Rem 700 stainless action. It's easy with a good milling machine, indicate the orginial lines, and it looks factory, but ya now have 4.00" cartridges that can feed from the box. Put a good brake on it and it's easy to shoot from the prone. It weights about 8.75 lbs with everything but the scope and it has a fluted barrel. Lookin at close to a 10 lb rifle with good scope. Magnums loose speed with short barrels. Carbon fiber barrels and stocks or skinny SS barrels will reduce weight. Then when ya get it light it kicks alot more.

If you're attached to a 30 do a 30...buuuut my personal experience is you do not need a 30. I have long range kills on Elk and mule deer with 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western and 7mm-08 all DRT. Dead is dead and for the record, that 6.8 Western is a bad mama jama...reminds me of a 28 Nosler in bark and bite. Maybe do a little research on those...you can get light weight rigs in those calibers.

Referencing my last post...FWIW, the 6.8 Western is a Fierce custom CT Carbon Rage (built in picatinny on fore end for bi-pod) and with a Leopold VX6HD 3-18 X 50 on top weighs in at 7.5 lbs. tax title and license. A tad barky off the bench and muzzle brake is loud. Luckily, in the bush I don't hear it and I don't feel it.

Recent Posts