Hornady marketing

Seabeeken

So why have the plastic tip at all if the small flat points are already on many match hollow points? I've always believed the plastic tips introduced another variable. I've seen them wobble when rolled on the bench, break when feeding, and fall put. Berger has had it right all along.

Just read about it on the Outdoor Wire a few minutes ago.

Hodgdon also announced a new powder for magnum rifles calibers. It will be called Ramshot Grand.

So why have the plastic tip at all if the small flat points are already on many match hollow points? I've always believed the plastic tips introduced another variable. I've seen them wobble when rolled on the bench, break when feeding, and fall put. Berger has had it right all along.

After Hornady came out with "everyone's plastic tip melts but theirs doesn't" I'm wary of what they come up with.

I like Hornady just fine but watching that video I had two thoughts. One the tone/feel of it hit me like an ED commercial kind of somber. I was waiting for the blue pill and upbeat music to kick in at anytime. Two i kept thinking someone tell the Fclass guys to stop pointing their bullets. I'm not questioning their testing or results. I find it all interesting.

The theory behind the concept is valid. Blunt nose projectiles tend to push the shock wave off the projectile while the pointed nose allows the shock wave to attach to the projectile. Any variation in the sharp nose geometry will affect the projectile and likely is an element in dispersion With a machined blunt nose the shape is more consistent than with a molded tip (think pointing of the meplat). I don't know about the specifics of the relationship of tip diameter to the bullet diameter but I suspect that it may exist. It could simply be an optimization of BC to SD of the BC.

They make decent products for the money and do a pretty good job with availability. If they would cut out some of their marketing cost and pass the savings to the consu
Maybe they just needed to use a larger sample size. One day of shooting isnt good enough. They should have tested over 50 days
Now that's funny 😆

Something else I experienced with Hornady is inconsistent "Match" ammunition. I had bought some of the 108 gr ELD-M for the 6mm Creedmoor and was getting 1/4 moa groups at 100 yards with my favorite rifle. I ordered another case since I was getting low and couldn't do better than 3/4 moa. I pulled apart a cartridge from each lot and it was obvious the powder was different. I've been thinking about this and my take is Hornady was more interested in selling the product than matching any sort of accurate load. They just wanted to keep the $$ coming in.