How to know it is Spring in Cody, Wyoming

mbmtb, you under emphasized some of the positive features.

Wind (frequently 60mph), cold (down close to -50F the last few winters), grizzlies (on every western mountain range), 100+ miles for good shopping (and no Costco in the state!), rattlesnakes and scorpions, clouds of mosquitos come July, snow drifts as high as houses, constantly closed roads due to blizzards and/or winds that roll tractor trailers. And then there are the spring floods. EV chargers are not close enough together for you to get all the way across the state. Besides that where else can you go a half hour from town for a short meeting, and because a ground blizzard sprang up, causing a whiteout and closing a pass road, you have to drive an extra 250 miles to detour back home that afternoon!?

L2land, with the above examples, maybe you can improve your sales pitch.
You forgot the black flies.

This guy may square 8 foot, I don't know.
But he's built like an African Gorilla.
Trail cam in Sunlight Basin, North of Cody.View attachment 572229
View attachment 572230
That looks like a good one……really wish that we could hunt them.

Heck, that might have been one of the ones we were seeing when I was sheep hunting there…..though he'd have just been a youngster then.

Was that your trail cam? memtb

On the Uranium areas, Pumpkin Buttes was way north of Douglas, west of Wright. Blizzard Heights was out 93 north of Douglas. 93 (then 32, the Highland Loop Road) went to Exxon's Highland Mine, the adjacent Morton Ranch Mine, where I worked, and further north to the Bear Creek Mine and another I can't think of the name of at the moment (maybe Cameco). When uranium was crashing in '82-83 that was when the Morton Ranch Mine folded. It was a TVA lease, and the Three Mile Island incident sealed its fate before we even got into real production. Highland and the Morton Ranch lodes are presently under in situ mining.

That was a long ways out 93, most of an hour in good weather, and we all kept extra food in our offices in case we got snowed in. The blizzards out there could be pretty epic at times. I ranged out from the mine quite a ways doing environmental monitoring, and I'll guarantee that the gumbo on the ranch roads in the spring was something to behold. And you better have a shovel for the drifts in winter.

Propane doesn't give off very much vapor below minis 30 degrees so your BBQ won't get very hot , add wind chill and it's really tuff. Below minus 40 it's pretty much a frozen block of ice. Been there done that.
Which is why all my elk camp Coleman equipment uses white gas. I have been in conditions where it was difficult to get the newspaper in the sheepherder wood stove to light it was so cold. Ain't happening with propane then.

I have to admit that below -40 my enthusiasm for grilling will be chilled;)

That looks like a good one……really wish that we could hunt them.

Heck, that might have been one of the ones we were seeing when I was sheep hunting there…..though he'd have just been a youngster then.

Was that your trail cam? memtb
Yes.
The orange dot is from the light above while I took a photo of the image on my SD card reader.

On the Uranium areas, Pumpkin Buttes was way north of Douglas, west of Wright. Blizzard Heights was out 93 north of Douglas. 93 (then 32, the Highland Loop Road) went to Exxon's Highland Mine, the adjacent Morton Ranch Mine, where I worked, and further north to the Bear Creek Mine and another I can't think of the name of at the moment (maybe Cameco). When uranium was crashing in '82-83 that was when the Morton Ranch Mine folded. It was a TVA lease, and the Three Mile Island incident sealed its fate before we even got into real production. Highland and the Morton Ranch lodes are presently under in situ mining.

That was a long ways out 93, most of an hour in good weather, and we all kept extra food in our offices in case we got snowed in. The blizzards out there could be pretty epic at times. I ranged out from the mine quite a ways doing environmental monitoring, and I'll guarantee that the gumbo on the ranch roads in the spring was something to behold. And you better have a shovel for the drifts in winter.

A couple of guys I worked with along with the Exxon Mine Manager spent from Friday until Sunday in a pickup truck camper shell waiting to be rescued…..Easter Weekend I think!

They had a pretty rouge couple of days, the mine manager was wearing office clothing. They gave him some additional clothing and better shoes/boots, huddled-up and made the best of a bad situation! memtb

A couple of guys I worked with along with the Exxon Mine Manager spent from Friday until Sunday in a pickup truck camper shell waiting to be rescued…..Easter Weekend I think!

They had a pretty rouge couple of days, the mine manager was wearing office clothing. They gave him some additional clothing and better shoes/boots, huddled-up and made the best of a bad situation! memtb
Yup, that's the place! More than one story like that.

I always had a winter gear bag and sleeping bag in my trunk in winter when I was working. Now I just don't go out if it's going to be bad.
Retirement makes for nice options😄
10-4 on the options when retired. I took an early retirement at age 57 and whenever one of my still working friends would ask how retirement was my reply would always be that it is VASTLY underrated!

That's true, still a somewhat free country.
People move from a area because they dislike it now but it was fine before. Unfortunately most of the elected officials that they elected make policies that make people want to move. Moving elsewhere but continuing to vote for the same stuff that ruined the place that they left before will continue the cycle. There's a saying about doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Some people like where they live and prefer it to stay that way.
You are right. People usually move from areas that have laws or politics we don't agree with to areas of like minded folks. Doesn't mean you have to agree with everything but it's far better to be a friend instead of a prophet. I find it difficult to support anyone that has ideas that are contrary to our Constitution or trying to pass laws that interfere with my chosen way of life. Even if you don't like the other guy, we need to support what he stands for. I'm retired both military and law enforcement and was sworn to uphold the Constitution. So many politicians just want to change it. Some folks don't like DT because is brash and says what he thinks. I find that trait to be a positive thing. Whether in him or the other folks I associate with. He is a "knife fighter" and I like knife fighters. Maybe I've been around too many old school military guys for too many years that don't have thin skin. I like guys that tell you where the bear craps in the woods.

Last edited:
there is a sig as you drive into Cody :don't Californiaise Cody" but to many people from Calif are moving there not the nice town it used to be
Somebody may have already posted. I'm only on page 2.
IMG_20210803_201146946_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210803_201159149.jpg

Recent Posts