Barnes TTSX out of 270WSM

Youngpatriot

So last fall I was blessed with Covid twice, 60 days apart. Ended up with Covid Pneumonia. I missed all of rut, finally made it out the last Tuesday of rifle.

I have shot Barnes for 20 years with amazing results, quick ethical kill shots.

This particular day, I took my wife's Browning (light set) since I wasn't in the best of shape.

After 25 minutes of sitting, 6 buck came out, 3 good ones. Approx 210 yardage. Nice rest, shot, buck ran below me, but back towards me. Shot 3 more shots. 4 hours later, with the help by many, I retrieved my buck. 3 lung shots and once in the gut and that buck ran dang near 400 yards. TTS'S did minimal damage, I was shocked. Anyone else run into similar issues?

That's one of the reasons i have switched to them. They seemed to open up with higher speed rounds. They were factory rounds, shame on me, but they shoot well, I hated to change anything. Longer yardage, they have done well, obviously going much slower.

If you do not mind me asking, what bullets are you slinging?

center point the shoulder with the ttxs and it will drop them dead, and with not near the meat damage as the Berger or a soft point. my favorite bullet is the Gmx, they hold together good, and shoot well. I do shoot a 135 Berger classic in my 6.5 Saum.

It's been a while since I've shot anything homogenous but used to love the TSX's in .25-06 and 7mmRM. This was before the LRX and TTSX came out.
I currently run a Nosler Ballistic Tip (130gn) in my .270Win., a 162gn ELD-M in my 7mmRM and a 225gn ELD-M in my .300WinMag. I also shoot 169.5gn Wildcats and 170gn Berger's for my .270 Allen Magnum but do not shoot it much.

I used to be the biggest Barnes fan boy you could find, till I started shooting deer and elk on an open field where you see every thing that goes down and they can't just disappear. It's a long story with a lot of animals and disappointment but after two years shooting and having guys shoot my gun so I could get a lot of wound channels I would not hunt with a Barnes period, or some other monos as well because unless you get the perfect CNS hit or direct heart shot issues went up dramatically.
Barnes pushed me to test Bergers in the early days and it was like throwing a light switch in the difference in lethality and one shot kills, this lead to testing many bullets and now I just shoot Bergers or if I want a Mono Hammers, if your shooting animals in the ribs you need bullets that shed some weight and create a large wound channel, Barnes are most definitely not that bullet unless you drive them hard enough to blow the petals which in a 270 WSM the 110 TTSX will do and does a decent job.

I used to be the biggest Barnes fan boy you could find, till I started shooting deer and elk on an open field where you see every thing that goes down and they can't just disappear. It's a long story with a lot of animals and disappointment but after two years shooting and having guys shoot my gun so I could get a lot of wound channels I would not hunt with a Barnes period, or some other monos as well because unless you get the perfect CNS hit or direct heart shot.
Barnes pushed me to test Bergers in the early days and it was like throwing a light switch in the difference in lethality and one shot kills, this lead to testing many bullets and now I just shoot Bergers or if I want a Mono Hammers, if your shooting animals in the ribs you need bullets that shed some weight and create a large wound channel, Barnes are most definitely not that bullet unless you drive them hard enough to blow the petals which in a 270 WSM the 110 TTSX will do and does a decent job.
I'm crapping myself right now, like many others, I stoked piled tons of Barnes bullets. Obviously, I cannot find Bergers anywhere right now, along with powder.

Ty for response.
On another note. Shot my antelope at 488 yards with my buddies Feirce Rifle this fall, 300PRC.
212 gr ELDX. Results were divesting. Lost meet and a backstrap.

Attachments

• 20211002_074542.jpg
    20211002_074542.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
The 270 WSM is one of my top favorite chamberings, if you need to buy ammo it's WELL worth it to have guys like Steve of Hammer bullets load you some rounds. It's a premium service BUT the results are also premium and in the end far more rewarding than questioning yourself, gun or bullet.

The 270 WSM is one of my top favorite chamberings, if you need to buy ammo it's WELL worth it to have guys like Steve of Hammer bullets load you some rounds. It's a premium service BUT the results are also premium and in the end far more rewarding than questioning yourself, gun or bullet.
Thank you very much. I have a friend that loves the Hammers as well. Appreciate the info.

So last fall I was blessed with Covid twice, 60 days apart. Ended up with Covid Pneumonia. I missed all of rut, finally made it out the last Tuesday of rifle.

This particular day, I took my wife's Browning (light set) since I wasn't in the best of shape.

After 25 minutes of sitting, 6 buck came out, 3 good ones. Approx 210 yardage. Nice rest, shot, buck ran below me, but back towards me. Shot 3 more shots. 4 hours later, with the help by many, I retrieved my buck. 3 lung shots and once in the gut and that buck ran dang near 400 yards. TTS'S did minimal damage, I was shocked. Anyone else run into similar issues?
I been loading 110 gr TTSX outta my X bolt for over 10 years now. I have killed a ton of deer with that load. This late deer season I shot two within minutes of each other. The doe piled up and the buck went about 100 yds, double lunged.

Exact same caliber, handloads..same result with one shot but only 150 yards it ran...shot at 110 yards. Took off the top of the heart. No shock value. Shooting 150 gr. Hornady spire points the 5 before were DRT. Not a single step.

Exact same caliber, handloads..same result with one shot but only 150 yards it ran...shot at 110 yards. Took off the top of the heart. No shock value. Shooting 150 gr. Hornady spire points the 5 before were DRT. Not a single step.
Ironically, when I first got that gun, not being cheap, but the Winchester Supremes shot amazing. Never had a deer take a step with them. Then I switched everything to Barnes, except my 223 and 22-250. Elk and Bear got demo'd by the TSX AND TTSX'S.

Give up on Barnes and use Fusion 150 if you want to use factory ammo. I have killed innumerable deer with Fusion 150 in 270 WSM. In my Winchester Featherlight, I have killed 10 point and 11 point at 334 yards. It shoots 1/3 MOA consistently in my rifle. So I couldn't reload anything better. Also nice to get an exit hole almost every time for trailing.

Try it and see how it shoots in your rifle. I have been one shotting deer with Fusions since they first came out; since 2006, I think.