3300fps to fast for Barnes TTSX

I had issues shooting a 284 TTSX from a 7 mag at 3200 fps. 100 yds. Straight through both lungs. Deer ran 200 yds bled like a bow shot deer. Very localized tissue damage. Looked like a bow shot deer. No hydrostatic shock. That is a very dense bullet. In 35 caliber with the tsx they have performed better. The 358 is a low sd bullet pushed hard at 2700 fps. In short. I like the tsx better and you need to shoot a light for caliber bullet.

Finally, the mystery starts to unravel. The recovered bullet is not the same as the 100gnTTSX.
The pressure grooves are different. Look at the micrometer pictures, there are definitely 4 grooves in the recovered bullet.

It appears that the OP has recovered a different bullet and possibly a different deer.
This now makes sense because blowing the petals would bring the weight down to about 80 grains, max.

So, back to the drawing board on the whole threat he
Finally, the mystery starts to unravel. The recovered bullet is not the same as the 100gnTTSX.
The pressure grooves are different. Look at the micrometer pictures, there are definitely 4 grooves in the recovered bullet.

It appears that the OP has recovered a different bullet and possibly a different deer.
This now makes sense because blowing the petals would bring the weight down to about 80 grains, max.

So, back to the drawing board on the whole thread.
It's the deer I shot. I literally blood trailed fromwhere I shot him.

I will have to measure bullet later as I have a family Christmas to attend. I know where my entrance was. If it's a different bullet the only thing they could think is maybe my bullet stopped in his guts? Which would be weird as there was a hole in his liver. I definitely know I hit him with 1-2 inches of my aiming point and seen him hunch up after my shot. That would be crazy if someone else had shot him prior to me. That deer would be one tough sob

Last edited:
168gr TTSX 30 cal sent at 3250 ish from my 300 weatherby. I shot my cow elk this year with it at 60 yards. It left a 2" exit hole and she dropped in about 40 yards.

165gr TTSX 30 cal sent at 2475 ish from a 308 win. My buddy shot his cow elk at 70 yards this year. Same result, 2" exit hole, but that one dropped in its tracks.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 1681D896-AA01-47A5-A2AA-07EF9DF90AF7.jpeg
    1681D896-AA01-47A5-A2AA-07EF9DF90AF7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
Ever shoot a deer with archery equipment? My buddy had the same thing happen on a buck. He was sure he made a good shot. He drove a broadhead straight through one lung and the liver. We found it the next day and he had to put another arrow in it. That was with a 4 blade 1.25 inch broadhead. Deer are much tougher than you're giving them credit.
So quit taking low percentage shots and wait a nanosecond for a good broadside or shoulder shot. You said you've taken this shot many times. Almost every comment says you shouldn't have. I agree and have also shot numerous deer. Some 5-6/year due to deprecation tags

Even if it was .264" it would swaged itself down to your .256" diameter going through your barrel. I looked again at the other picture with it in the bullet in caliper , there sure looks to be a additional ring cut on bullet. Either way you got the positive outlook , you got your deer.

Even if it was .264" it would swaged itself down to your .256" diameter going through your barrel. I looked again at the other picture with it in the bullet in caliper , there sure looks to be a additional ring cut on bullet. Either way you got the positive outlook , you got your deer.

It does look like it could be an additional ring, but is it really?
Wonder if we could see a photo of the two bullets standing next to each other for a side by side comparison?

Hahahahah. That right there is better than a real BUTTERBEAN overhand right!!! Night night.....don't flop around too much or they will make you go see old bones again. Hahahahahah. Thanks a lot for a morning laugh in my coffee.

Again the deer is dead. I was more concerned that the bullet fell apart that easy. We can argue shot placement all you want. I guess I was expecting more outta these bullets. If I want bullets coming apart I'll use Berger's and Lea e a huge wound channel.
I have used Barnes from early on with results that made me go back to lead bullets of various makes. I found that the original X was just as likely to not open at all as it was to work as designed. Then tried XLCs which were not improved at all. I've loaded tried some TSX at various times, and even loaded some TTSX. Let me say the wound channels are narrow, and shot placement is just as critical as ever.
If you want them to drop you want bullets that dump everything, wide channels and less penetration. Bergers, accubombs, SSTs etc work like this.
The reason Nosler partitions are still in use is because the front is fragile making for a wider wound channel, and the base stays together for deep penetration. This combo performance seems more in line with what you desire.
Raking shots seem to be the most apt to start a rodeo.

Fine.
Then the mystery becomes, "How can the bullet blow its nose, shear its nose petals, and retain 97grains weight? Four nose petals weigh considerably more than 3 grains total.
I'm leaning toward the nose collapsing into the cavity and not expanding. That blunt frontal area is the only deformation.
I'm not a fan of Barnes. I have a few left in .224 and .257 but won't be buying them again. Same for the copper ACP. I don't like the narrow wound channel.

I'm leaning toward the nose collapsing into the cavity and not expanding. That blunt frontal area is the only deformation.
I'm not a fan of Barnes. I have a few left in .224 and .257 but won't be buying them again. Same for the copper ACP. I don't like the narrow wound channel.

Certainly looks like a failure to open in the last picture with the calipers.

I recently bought some 100 grain Barnes TTSX for my 257 Roberts AI. I have heard how tough and indestructible these bullets are. Well I through a load together for the Wisconsin gun deer season. Load was 50 grains of RL17 and a CCI200 and I was getting 3294fps with a ES of 7 over 5 shots and just under 1MOA. I thought this would be a great load where my shots would range between 50-300 yards. Well I got my opportunity on a good buck on the last Saturday evening of the season.
The buck quartering away at 170 yards away in a cut cornfield just about to go into the woods. I ended up shooting him in the flank and was expecting bullet would come out either in front of the off side shoulder or would end up coming to rest right in his shoulder. The buck hunched up and took off into the woods. I waited 1 hour and went to look for blood. I found a little blood which was very spotty at best. After about 75 yards of tracking I reached our line fence and head something take off. I backed out and called the neighbors.
They said they'd be doing a deer drive in the morning and I was more than welcome to come along. Fast forward to the next day 16 hours later to be exact I caught up to the buck on the drive and had to finish him off. While I was cutting up the deer Tuesday night I found my bullet it had come to rest right under his off side shoulder blade. All the pedals had sheared off or the tip busted one or the other. I was astonished that this would happen. And now know why the deer was still alive as it had just left a 1/4 inch wound channel through the deer.
So I decided to email Barnes and their reply was that I'm probably shooting these bullets to fast and that they dont test bullets past 3000fps. They also told me my impact velocity was probably around 2950fps. And pretty much told me tough luck. I've shot Nosler accubonds outt my 25-06 at faster muzzle velocity than the Barnes and have never had a experience like this. So I'm just giving a heads up to some of you that are running big magnums at higher velocities than I'm running. You might run into this problem. Hopefully not but I will be switching back to accubonds if I can find them or Berger 133's.
My dad shoots 338 Win mag, 210 gr TTSX, my brother shoots 338 RUM 225 TTSX and I have a 300 RUM 180 TSX.
My dad's shoots 2880 FPS, brothers 2900 FPS, and I am 3300FPS.

Speaking Elk here.

Dad's, one shot drops, with devastating hydro shock. 100-350 yards.

Brother, 60-350 yard shots hit his last bull at 350, dropped it, great results.
First bull was at 60 yards, hit it 4 times, guide hit it with 3 shots before it dropped out of 300RUM Bergers.
Looked like Swiss cheese, but brothers never opened up until he took out shoulders.

My elk at 774 (Nosler partitions) didn't open up.
621 yard shot (Barnes TSX, dropped it, devasting results.
Last bull was 37 yards and Demo'd it (TSX)

Wife's 270WSM TTSX, 200 yard shot, 4 shots on buck this year, not one opened up.

I'm not a physics person, or engineer, but I'm nervous about shooting another whitetail through the lungs with fast rounds and Barnes. Shoulder shots from here on out, or through the chest if it's facing me.