Barnes TTSX-BT Bullets

I've shot a lot of Barnes X bullets over the years. Here's what I've found that makes load development go a bit quicker.

1. Start with a squeaky clean barrel. Barnes bullets don't work particularly well with copper fouling left behind from other bullets.

2. Try loading the bullets WELL OFF the rifling. Barnes says to start .050" but that's just a minimum. I've seen groups come together @ .100" - .150" off and even at a full .250" in Weatherby rifles.

3. Start with a powder that is in the middle of the burn rates that are available in the reloading data for the 25-06. Not the fastest or slowest, just somewhere in the middle. IME, I found it harder to get Barnes bullets to shoot best with the slowest burning powders but that could vary from gun to gun.

Good luck
When I had the factory barrel on my Rem 700 300 RUM my favorite load was 99.0 grs. Retumbo and first a 180 gr. TSX then TTSX when they came out. I could shoot .50 inch groups all the time. 3360 fps.. I had my CDS dial made for it. Bone busters. I had a dial made for Berger 185 HVLD also. With 100 grs. Retumbo. Killed a fair number of lope , deer and elk with it. Killed a desert bighorn with a 168 gr. Barnes . Don't remember if it was a TTSX or LRX though. 2003. My new barrel likes Berger 215 and N570 3100 something fps and 181 Hammer Hunter with H1000. It's a screamer 3300 something fps. 28 in. Barrel.
I also had good luck with TSX and TTSX in 7 Rem mag and 243. All at or near max loads.I haven't tried Barnes in my 6.5 PRC yet but it likes 124 HH and 156 Bergers for sure. A little of topic. Sorry.

Recent Posts