Barnes TTSX-BT Bullets

BEARWalker73

Has anyone used this particular bullet from Barnes?? Not the TSX, but the TTSX 100gr. Looking for load data for my 25-06. It has a 26" Barrel and a 9.5 twist.

Been working with that bullet in my Vanguard 25-06. Haven't had a lot of luck so far. If you go on Barnes website you can pull up info on it.They list the TSX BT but not the TTSX but I'm sure that's fine it's what I've been using. I've tried RL 22 55 gr (max is 55.5) and started with there suggested OAL of 3.080 but not a whole lot of luck yet. Hope you have better luck than I have.

I've shot a lot of Barnes X bullets over the years. Here's what I've found that makes load development go a bit quicker.

1. Start with a squeaky clean barrel. Barnes bullets don't work particularly well with copper fouling left behind from other bullets.

2. Try loading the bullets WELL OFF the rifling. Barnes says to start .050" but that's just a minimum. I've seen groups come together @ .100" - .150" off and even at a full .250" in Weatherby rifles.

3. Start with a powder that is in the middle of the burn rates that are available in the reloading data for the 25-06. Not the fastest or slowest, just somewhere in the middle. IME, I found it harder to get Barnes bullets to shoot best with the slowest burning powders but that could vary from gun to gun.

Good luck

I've used that bullet in my Rob and it has been very accurate and effective. As Varmint Hunter said, Barnes typically like a lot of jump to the lands. I usually start loading with the front groove on the bullet even with the case mouth and don't worry about how much distance to the lands unless that doesn't give an accurate load.

I shoot them and they are accurate bullets. I have found in my rifles they do not like some powders. I use rl25 and h4831sc and it real shined in my rifle. You will have to move up and down slowly with your powder charge until you find what you gun likes.

My experiences with TTSX's has been that they like to go fast. I've shot the 100'&120's in 6.5mm and 150's, 168's in .308. Plus the 55's and 62's in .224 The best loads were pushing the upper end of the powder ranges for all of them.

2. Try loading the bullets WELL OFF the rifling. Barnes says to start .050" but that's just a minimum. I've seen groups come together @ .100" - .150" off and even at a full .250" in Weatherby rifles.
Is this universally true or more of a sometimes kind of thing?

I loaded some a few years ago in 257 WBY with R22, 3.350 OAL and I don't remember how far off the lands that was. Shooting them last year and they were too hot so abandoned them. They must have been reasonably accurate when loaded but not quite so great when shooting last year and the velocity had jumped to 3600+. Rifle is a Vanguard 24' barrel.

I'm using them in 300 ultra and 257 wby right now and have used them over the years in many guns. They kill awesome and I've never had them not shoot awesome.
Push them as fast as you can and they should shoot great. I always start them at 0.080"off and go deeper from there if needed but they usually shoot good there for me.