Elk/Deer Rifle performance

If a hunter was looking to get a True Elk Rifle, or even a another one, this is one of the best posts I have every read. So far it is 4 pages of advice and opinions from true seasoned Elk Hunters. What is clear to me is that the 6.5mm guys can discuss the many elk they have killed , and so can the 7mm Guys, as well as the 30 Cal guys, and of course the 338 Guys. With out fail the one thing all agree on is the absolute importance of shot placement. A heart / or double Lung shot is generally a fatal shot which usually results with a dead animal a short distance later. Weather the Heart is blown up by a 6.5mm bullet or a 338 dia bullet the result is generally the same. That being etched in stone, it the seems to me to become a question of how much energy do you want or need at what range do you expect to kill the animal. As I am making an Elk load for the Mark V in 300 Weatherby Mag I have owned for decades. That is the biggest rifle I own, so that will be my elk rifle. My loading will begin with a 190 Grn Nosler ABLR started from the 26 inch barrel, at 3000 fps. That 190 Grn. Bullet with a G1 BC of .597 will allow me to deliver 1970 Ft Pounds to an animal 600 yards away. Perfect for elk?? Most likely NO ; Will it kill an elk If the golden rule of perfect placement is followed?? Most likely ,Yes . It's a starting point for a year or more of experimentation, ( 180 grn Nosler partition testing will follow.) and incredible discussions like this one you guys have all contributed too. We who have only hunted Elk once or twice, learn much from you guys who have hunted them many times. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm using 180 Barnes Weatherby select plus ammo for my 300 with a MV of 3200, sub .50 MOA with solid energy - 1,878 @ 600 yards. Not the cheapest ammo, but shoots great and can be picked up at any Cabellas. Worth a try.

What did I ask you for? Permission for what???😁🤪
1686757763956.png

Looks like I found someone with a shorter memory than mine! 🤣🤣

I shoot 79 grs of IMR 4831 and Fed 215 primers, Weatherby brass since 1974 in my German built .300 Wby Mag. I've fiddled with the load/powder over the years but the only thing that has changed was I upgraded to 180 gr Barnes TTSX about 2010. I get very good accuracy and "Nell" shoots 3208 FPS out of old 26" barrel. BTW, I'm the original poster about my rifle (a 6.8 Western with muzzle brake) being a tad barky off the bench...y'all feel free to use the remark as you see fit. I did not anticipate that remark "going viral:)!"

I shoot 79 grs of IMR 4831 and Fed 215 primers, Weatherby brass since 1974 in my German built .300 Wby Mag. I've fiddled with the load/powder over the years but the only thing that has changed was I upgraded to 180 gr Barnes TTSX about 2010. I get very good accuracy and "Nell" shoots 3208 FPS out of old 26" barrel. BTW, I'm the original poster about my rifle (a 6.8 Western with muzzle brake) being a tad barky off the bench...y'all feel free to use the remark as you see fit. I did not anticipate that remark "going viral:)!"
Very interesting. My first generation German, 24", 12 twist, loved 180 grn bullets with IMR4350. My 2011 Accumark, loves 180 grn TSX with IMR 7828, I little slower than yours.
What COAL or CBTO do your load your TTSX to?