Barnes 280 grain LRX low velocity expansion results.

The product is called "Terra Sorb" it is a hydrogel that absorbs 200 times it's weight in water. I think I paid $30+ for a 5 lb. can.......Rich
So 5 lbs x 200 = 1000 lbs

1000 / 7 (a gallon holds 7 pounds of water) = 142 gallons. That should be PLENTY to stop the bullet. I can't decide If its worth the $39.95 though. You said it was the consistency of jelly? I might give it a try. How well does this represent flesh? How well does it stop bullets?

Thanks

So 5 lbs x 200 = 1000 lbs

1000 / 7 (a gallon holds 7 pounds of water) = 142 gallons. That should be PLENTY to stop the bullet. I can't decide If its worth the $39.95 though. You said it was the consistency of jelly? I might give it a try. How well does this represent flesh? How well does it stop bullets?

Thanks

I think it is a good medium to represent flesh. I would try to use a container similar to a small culvert, maybe 1' in diameter, which measures around 6' long. You will need some kind of replaceable "window" to shoot through and a trap door top to retrieve the bullets. The good thing is, the media will last forever........Rich

I think it is a good medium to represent flesh. I would try to use a container similar to a small culvert, maybe 1' in diameter, which measures around 6' long. You will need some kind of replaceable "window" to shoot through and a trap door top to retrieve the bullets. The good thing is, the media will last forever........Rich
That was another question I was going to ask you. Would a piece of rubber work to shoot through and maybe reseal itself. If my math is correct I would need 1.26 pounds of it to fill a container 6' long and 1' wide. The price on amazon for 1 pound is $14.95 so that's not bad. I may have to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion!
The only problem I can think of is when the container is full it weigh upwards of 250 pounds!

That was another question I was going to ask you. Would a piece of rubber work to shoot through and maybe reseal itself. If my math is correct I would need 1.26 pounds of it to fill a container 6' long and 1' wide. The price on amazon for 1 pound is $14.95 so that's not bad. I may have to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion!
The only problem I can think of is when the container is full it weigh upwards of 250 pounds!

Well, don't lift it!:D:D

Well I can't leave it at the range and It would be a P.I.T.A to take it all out and put it in smaller containers then have to fill it up again every time I want test bullets. Which is a lot!

I Know.:rolleyes: :)
I will stick to my newspapers/phonebooks/magazines for now. :) I think i have enough at the moment to do the test with the CE and Barnes at 1300, 1400, and 1500 fps.

Last edited:
Testing stuff out for yourself usually isn't an exact science but at least a guy has done enough home work and to the best of his ability to not be dumbfounded when something goes wrong and your not caught as badly by surprise. The fact of the mater is you shoot a bullet long enough you will have some fail to do what you want either from the bullets not performing or you pushing it beyond it's capability, but the information your gathering now will help you determine what just happened and how to take care of it in order to put down game when it does go sideways.

great thread,for me Barnes is all i use in my 338 rifles...i use old conveyor belt to both shot at and as a back stop after the bullets pass threw. you can get it at any stone quarry that has conveyor systems and it is anywhere from 1/4 inch to 5/8 inch thick.it,s the perfect back stop...no need to dig in a dirt bank to find your bullets.

do you think the newspapers are offering more resistance than what an elk would? I try to get the paper as wet as possible. Do you think i can expect more expansion from a the bullet in an elk than from the newspapers? Or vice versa?

OK, next time i will bring a couple gallons of water and give them another soak before i shoot them to get them as wet as possible. If i put a 3" or 4" board infront of the newspapers and maybe another 3" or 4" inches of paper infront of the board would that be a good representation of a shoulder shot?

I just got the 252 grain Cutting Edge bullets from Rhian (bigngreen) and thought i would post a couple pics for size comparison.

Left to Right for top pic: Hornady 285 grain HPBT, Cutting Edge D60 252 grain HPBT, Barnes 280 grain LRX.

Left to Right for bottom two pics: Hornady 285 grain HPBT, Barnes 280 grain LRX, and Cutting Edge D60 252 grain HPBT.

What i found interesting is when seated for the band to touch the case mouth my measurement to where the bullets touch the lands is the same as when i seat the Barnes LRX .100 off the lands.

Attachments

• IMG_3600.JPG
    IMG_3600.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3597.JPG
    IMG_3597.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3596.JPG
    IMG_3596.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 108
Glad they got there by the weekend! The CE's look awesome but I could not get them to shoot in anything I've chambered but I'm thinking it may have to do with the throat which is spec'ed tight and I can't seat the bullet anywhere other than with the band next to the neck or inside the neck and they just don't like it there. The hole is much shallower than I thought it should be for a bullet that was for hunting but who knows, hope to see some pics soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts