Barnes 280 grain LRX low velocity expansion results.

Jeff....I appreciate your posts and have not questioned your results, and still don't. I simply post what I see and people can draw there own conclusions. I have posted a lot more good about Berger bullets than bad, but as I have stated in the past, there is no such thing as a perfect bullet from 1-4000'/sec. on mice to moose, including my own. I just prefer to test before I shoot something rather than after and then see why it didn't work. I made a big mistake last year that I don't want to repeat!
The bulge in the boat tail was a result of the manufacturer sending me a .3085" boat tail punch instead of a .308", so that is no longer a problem. Actually, I am surprised that they shot as well as they did. Anyway, I respect Bill Stigers and spent quite a bit of time picking his brain when I started making bullets. Granted, he wasn't making long range stuff like I am, but he did know something about bullets and the water testing was one thing that he told me. It sounded goofy to me at the time, but I've learned to listen to some of these old timers! I would encourage you, and others, to keep testing. We can probably all learn something:D...rich

Well I live a couple miles out of town and don't have cattle but there about 75 cows in a pasture next to our yard that would give me shots from 100-950 yards.:D but I don't know how happy the owners would be about me shooting a couple to test bullet expansion.:D

Laughing hard and coughing is not funny... Thanks for the laugh!

Jeff....I appreciate your posts and have not questioned your results, and still don't. I simply post what I see and people can draw there own conclusions. I have posted a lot more good about Berger bullets than bad, but as I have stated in the past, there is no such thing as a perfect bullet from 1-4000'/sec. on mice to moose, including my own. I just prefer to test before I shoot something rather than after and then see why it didn't work. I made a big mistake last year that I don't want to repeat!
The bulge in the boat tail was a result of the manufacturer sending me a .3085" boat tail punch instead of a .308", so that is no longer a problem. Actually, I am surprised that they shot as well as they did. Anyway, I respect Bill Stigers and spent quite a bit of time picking his brain when I started making bullets. Granted, he wasn't making long range stuff like I am, but he did know something about bullets and the water testing was one thing that he told me. It sounded goofy to me at the time, but I've learned to listen to some of these old timers! I would encourage you, and others, to keep testing. We can probably all learn something:D...rich

I know we all look to test all we can and that is good. Another problem besides the fact you stated that no one bullet is perfect at all velocities is. No two shots can ever be he same. All the criteria changes. Velocity, angle, hide thickness, amount of meat before bone etc. etc. There is no perfect testing. But we will do what we can and then I feel antelope are a great start. One at 500 yards in a spot where you can see all around him will be first up for me then examine the results before I move out in distance or on to larger game. I went to bed thinking about that hollow tip and I don't like it. But I am still not sure that the pure water i not the culprit either. This is why I questioned you on this in the first place. I am going to research the tips on the 230 OTM and the 230 targets and see what they have. I am telling ya the 230 OTM's have worked very well for us so far on game with many kills. Maybe that is what my 300 win will end up with.

Jeff

Thats why i think my wet newspaper does a good job representing flesh.

I agree and would make sure it is soaked and packed firmly. But not a wet phone book either as I feel they would be more like wood.

Tough to get it all together. The best we can do is get an idea of what we are looking for in a bullet before we take game with it. Plus it is very evident we all like different things so one bullet will not please all of us. Thank goodness we have plenty of good choices.

Jeff

Hi Riley! I'm glad that there are young up and coming fellas like you that are interested enough in our sport to spend the time to do what you are doing. I would caution with the wet newspaper that you use plenty and have some good back up to stop bullets. The high velocity loads will not be so much of a problem but I have had the lower velocity (that don't expand) easily penetrate 4' of it. Good luck with your test.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.