Barnes 112 match burners

I'm not sure what leads you to believe that "Running them at nearly 3,000 FPS from a 22" competition barrel" calls for you to comment in this manner. Are you suggesting that I'm not capable of working up an accurate load safely? And if so, what is your experience and training which calls for such a comment?

There can be slow or fast barrels, barrels which show pressure signs before we might expect them to. Chambers which are cut improperly, allowing for pressure signs to show up when maybe they aren't expected even by comparison to published data?

This is just a tiny bit of data which I gathered from several range sessions developing a load for PRS competitions. Yes, it's an AR10 of course. It's also a +2 barrel and gas tube with an adjustable gas block.

:(

A gas gun cannot handle the pressure of a bolt gun, +2 tube and adj gas or not. The locking mechanism of the way the bolt works in the carrier with it's relationship to the barrel extension, and the simple design of the rifle's mechanics, dictate this.

You need to buy a better chrono. You are NOT shooting a 112 MB 3000fps out of a 22" AR10, unless your definition of "nearly" is 2850fps.
The 6GT barely shoots over 3k fps out of 26" bolt guns and 105gr bullets without ruining brass in more than 2 firings.

Go ahead, ask me about MY experience level.

Did you just necromance a thread that you weren't involved in to start an argument? Come on man, please don't do that.

Face Palm No GIF

I like the Barnes Match Burner bullets - I buy 105 6mm's, 120 & 140 6.5's
My 6mm barrels are 8 twist so I have not used the 112 grain Barnes Match Burners, a long pointy bullet.
I did have a 26", 8 twist, .243 diameter, 6mm-06 barrel & got velocities of 3150 fps average with 105's & 107's. Pressure appeared to be normal with moderately flattened primers having traces of cratering. I was able to blow up 87 grain VMax bullets - gray smoke, no hits at 100.
If Barnes provided G7 BC data I could determine Match Burner form factors.

Screenshot (726).png

I think a 7.5 twist is needed for the long & pointy 112 grain Barnes Match Burner & cartridges smaller than 6mm-06 would not produce enough spinning/centrifugal force to destroy the bullets.

The OAL of my Barnes 105 grain Match Burner Bullets varies some 2-3 thou inches. I used an average of 1.198 inches.

Last edited:
I bought some for my only 24cal (AR 243win). Magnum, magpro and 560/565 (maybe 7828ssc also) can be loaded 2.830" which is just under Barnes test length. No test or use yet.

I'm running them in a 24" 6gt on an origin, 37.0 gr H4350 at 2950fps, 7-12k off lands shoots sub half moa. Tested them back to 35k junk and only thing that would repeat was 10k jump node. I only have 120fb in this chamber(all my other 6gt are 169) so bullet is getting close to going below neck. I'm tetaing 7k 10k 13k jump at 400y today on paper. Will update the results.

Interesting stuff. I have been wanting to try these in 6arc at around 2500fps give or take a bit. Heard they had some issues but never the specifics. I will probably order a few to try out now since the risk of them blowing up at my lower velocities is somewhat minimal.

Repeated the 112s at 300y today, 37.0gr H4350 in alpha 6gt brass, running 2950, shot 4 shots group -7 -10 -13, 10 off was a half inch group the other 2 were an inch, with same point of impact. ES was 19 on 12 rounds. Time to put the 112s on some game this fall. Going to shoot them at 650 and 830y tomorrow to see how the advertised g7 of 320 pans out. I'll probably start at 310 and see where they land on the plate.

Last edited:
I think the bc is correct. I was shooting the 112 mb and 108 EH , both at about 3040 fps from 6 creedmoor @ 1000 yards the other day and the 112"s were hitting about 12 inches higher on paper.

To get the 112s to waterline at 850y I had to run a 312 g7 bc in my kestrel, running true MV of 2950. I have two lots of these bullets, one from 3 years ago upon inital release, and one from recent production. The base to ogive on the new lot was pretty decent, saw max 0.003 variation on 50 checked, the old lot was horrible, believe it was 0.012. Those old boxes will be used for barrel break in.

I'm giving up on the 112's. Just too much RPM out of my rifle. Clean, cold bore @ 500. First round hit the dirt about 100yds in front of the plate. Next 2 impact at about silver dollar size group. I'm having a lot of trouble lately with them coming apart.

t