Barnes 112 match burners

DJ Fergus

Has anyone shot some recently produced 6mm 112 match burners lately? They had some lot issues with blowups and tumbling a couple of years ago. I happened to get some of them. I'm just wondering if Barnes got the issues fixed?

I've read that they have but that's only what i've read. I need to get a new batch & try them in my 6x284. I've definitely had a few blow-ups, anything above 3400fps & some don't make it to the 100yd target.

t

Recent meaning in the last year, yes. 243AI, in the 3k neighborhood not really gassing it hard. Went through an entire 500 count box, no issues.

Also in my second box of 6.5mm 140s, no issues with them either.

These things aren't Vapor Trail, but they aren't awful.

Recent meaning in the last year, yes. 243AI, in the 3k neighborhood not really gassing it hard. Went through an entire 500 count box, no issues.

Also in my second box of 6.5mm 140s, no issues with them either.

These things aren't Vapor Trail, but they aren't awful.
How did the 112s shoot for you? Did you sort them?

I started measuring by total bullet length, it was bad so I gave up. I was shooting them on MOA+ steel so I didn't see a benefit. They shot good enough, they're cheap so that's the big benefit to them.

Less expensive is the draw for bullets such as the Barnes Match Burners. Having to devote additional time and effort to sorting by any variable or adjusting OAL of each bullet detracts from that concept of being less expensive. If I have to fix bullets to improve them then I may as well spend the extra money to buy those bullets which do not require fixing.;)

I shoot the 6mm Match Burners in a PRS gas gun system using them in the 6mm GT cartridge:

1687700476906.png

Running them at nearly 3,000 FPS from a 22" competition barrel, I am getting better than the necessary 1 MOA out to 1,000 yards, often between 1/2 and 3/4 MOA.

Good enough for this style of competition.

:)

Last edited:
Running them at nearly 3,000 FPS from a 22" competition barrel, I am getting better than the necessary 1 MOA out to 1,000 yards, often between 1/2 and 3/4 MOA.

112 from a gt at 3k from a 22" barrel is a pretty warm load! This is an Ar10 platform I take it? I recall finding psi with 112s in a 26" gt bolt gun just over 3030fps w/ H4350.

I shoot the 6mm Match Burners in a PRS gas gun system using them in the 6mm GT cartridge:

View attachment 472875

These numbers make me very optimistic. H4350?

I am building a 22" 1:7" 22GT to run the 85.5 LR Hyb and 77TMK for coyotes/prairie dogs. I was hoping to get 3k with the 85.5s. I think that should be doable.

112 from a gt at 3k from a 22" barrel is a pretty warm load! This is an Ar10 platform I take it? I recall finding psi with 112s in a 26" gt bolt gun just over 3030fps w/ H4350.

I'm not sure what leads you to believe that "Running them at nearly 3,000 FPS from a 22" competition barrel" calls for you to comment in this manner. Are you suggesting that I'm not capable of working up an accurate load safely? And if so, what is your experience and training which calls for such a comment?

There can be slow or fast barrels, barrels which show pressure signs before we might expect them to. Chambers which are cut improperly, allowing for pressure signs to show up when maybe they aren't expected even by comparison to published data?

This is just a tiny bit of data which I gathered from several range sessions developing a load for PRS competitions. Yes, it's an AR10 of course. It's also a +2 barrel and gas tube with an adjustable gas block.

:(

I'm not sure what leads you to believe that "Running them at nearly 3,000 FPS from a 22" competition barrel" calls for you to comment in this manner. Are you suggesting that I'm not capable of working up an accurate load safely? And if so, what is your experience and training which calls for such a comment?

There can be slow or fast barrels, barrels which show pressure signs before we might expect them to. Chambers which are cut improperly, allowing for pressure signs to show up when maybe they aren't expected even by comparison to published data?

This is just a tiny bit of data which I gathered from several range sessions developing a load for PRS competitions. Yes, it's an AR10 of course. It's also a +2 barrel and gas tube with an adjustable gas block.

:(
Rl17 will give some free velocity. I have burned 2 gt barrels and am currently shooting 5 other 22 or 6gt chambered rifles. I've tried all the heavier 6mm bullets minus 110smk, with various powders testing psi and velocity in bolt guns using quality custom actions and quality high end 237 bore 7.5tw barrels. I'm saying from all my findings, a 112 at "near" 3k fps from a 22" barrel is creedmoor speeds. You're chamber psi is on the high end, especially for a gas gun, on a high rate of fire match rig. You do you. I recall you work at McWhorter, I'm sure you know what you're doing. But it feels like you're taking offense for someone calling your load data "warm". You do whatever you want, it's your rifle. I have a 22" bolt barrel, I'll load up a 112mb to 3k fps with rl16 and I'll measure web expansion to sized brass and see how much it's expanding. It's on a bat bumblebee so I doubt I'll see traditional psi signs other than primer appearance/web dimensions. I've fired around 8k rounds of 6gt, I know the case pretty well. What it's capable of, and what's near the top.

Rl17 will give some free velocity. I have burned 2 gt barrels and am currently shooting 5 other 22 or 6gt chambered rifles. I've tried all the heavier 6mm bullets minus 110smk, with various powders testing psi and velocity in bolt guns using quality custom actions and quality high end 237 bore 7.5tw barrels. I'm saying from all my findings, a 112 at "near" 3k fps from a 22" barrel is creedmoor speeds. You're chamber psi is on the high end, especially for a gas gun, on a high rate of fire match rig. You do you. I recall you work at McWhorter, I'm sure you know what you're doing. But it feels like you're taking offense for someone calling your load data "warm". You do whatever you want, it's your rifle. I have a 22" bolt barrel, I'll load up a 112mb to 3k fps with rl16 and I'll measure web expansion to sized brass and see how much it's expanding. It's on a bat bumblebee so I doubt I'll see traditional psi signs other than primer appearance/web dimensions. I've fired around 8k rounds of 6gt, I know the case pretty well. What it's capable of, and what's near the top.
Pro tip: Don't remark on his velocities. Been there done that.

Are you guys sorting the 112s? And if so, are you sorting by bto or bearing surface length?
Neither, by total bullet length. I've done it both the ways you listed, and total length is faster and IMO sorts better. And no I don't trim tips before sorting.

What led me to confirm with my bullets and change: