barnes match burners

stephenr6565

Has anyone tried barnes match burners on game I got a few to try and my gun sure sems to like them it shot a 3 shot group at 1/8" @100 yds and shot 5 shots at about 1/2 moa @1000 I had a light wind to deal with about most of the group variation was windage the velocity spread was prob 1/4 moa or less so im really curious how they do on game

They're match grade target bullets, not intended or suitable for hunting game.

I understand that they are match grade bullets and barnes didn't intend them for hunting but that doesn't mean that they wont work I know of a few amount of people that use other brands of match grade bullets on game with good success so that is why I am curious if anyone has tried the match burners on game

I've been working with the 7mm ones a bit. My 7stw seems to be flaky with these, but I fielded them a bit anyway a while back. My 7rum seems to tolerate them just fine. I believe they are really designed for the smaller 7mm's though as my 7rem actually loved them.
As to performance on game, the only thing a shot with one was a coyote at about 300 yards running. It blew all the way through and killed the 'yote instantly. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 7m ones on deer size game but as with other match bullets on critters I would shy away from hitting meat.

We were discussing this on another thread about secant and tangent ogives I don't know how the solid copper design would differ, but it seems that it is a tangent ogive bullet if it is its not a good design for expansion. The nose wants to implode on its self instead of mushrooming outward. But I have seen smks kill with quickness.....

We were discussing this on another thread about secant and tangent ogives I don't know how the solid copper design would differ, but it seems that it is a tangent ogive bullet if it is its not a good design for expansion. The nose wants to implode on its self instead of mushrooming outward. But I have seen smks kill with quickness.....
this is a lead core pill so it will behave muck like the sierra or berger.

Dang... I hate it when spell check lets a bad keystroke through as it still spells a correct word. Muck = much...

I'm not entirely impressed with the matchburners in 7mm; they seem like a decent, accurate bullet, but we are after exceptional bullets when we stretch our rifles out. I think the tsx is a better, more refined bullet from them. I will, however be glad to try out their gen2 matchburner as Barnes usually fixes most of what's wrong with a bullet in short order.

I totally agree. The tsx or the ttsx is a much better bullet, But it is not a VLD as in the original conversation. The Match Burner has, for me, been much better on game and kills than the non hunting Berger vld, and way better than the 162 A Max. Once that is said, I only have used it on small Antelope and would not trust it on anything bigger. On a side note, I have tested all brands of bullets for honest BCs and the brand of bullet that is spot on the Barnes. They do the BC testing with the Doppler method and that could be the reason for the accurate BCs.

On a side note, I have tested all brands of bullets for honest BCs and the brand of bullet that is spot on the Barnes. They do the BC testing with the Doppler method and that could be the reason for the accurate BCs.
I know it's not part of the discussion but yes, Barnes published BC seems to be spot on.

Bringing this one back from the dead for some more input.. just talked with a guy who uses the 112 match burners for wolf, deer and his kids cow tags with great luck. This is the first I had heard about the match burners and was shocked to see they had a lead core, which I prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.