Sectioned Barnes Match Burner

MTbackwoods

LRH Sponsor
Has anyone done or seen a sectioned Match Burner? I'm really curious what the jacket and nose look like but I don't have the ability to cut one in half. If anyone can do it for me, I have some 140 6.5 bullets I'd be willing to mail

Awesome. I'd love to see it next to a Berger for reference. I sent some to Simplemindedfella for him to do a ballistic gel test with a few months back. You can find the video on his YouTube channel. He felt that they behaved almost exactly like a Berger at low and high velocities

I now have a few in my possession thanks to @MTbackwoods and hope to work on them either later today or tomorrow and get the results posted up here and I'll add them to my bullet construction post here in this forum as well.

Here are the results for the MatchBurners, cross sectioned.

The jackets measured a consistent .0270" in thickness and the meplat width measured the same size n diameter.
1B1A36AB-F558-4EA8-ABFA-F61FFC545C5F.jpeg
A90B1B07-2E22-4ECB-ADD2-C42D051D49B4.jpeg
5EF2D266-5BDE-4D6E-8188-1A17AEFDDC7E.jpeg
FBAD0CF3-6930-415E-A726-92DE5A54FA12.jpeg

Here's a Berger Hybrid with the core and cavity for comparison:
BE539EC3-47D0-46EE-B856-4916071FDE2F.jpeg
A673F132-8375-41C1-84F0-9E11DD803FF9.jpeg

I would think they'd perform pretty similarly to the Berger Hybrids with nearly the same jacket thickness and a comparable cavity size in relation to caliber size. I'd be a bit more comfortable with putting a lower limit on the impact velocity at around 1600-1800fps though with the MatchBurners compared to around 1400fps with the Berger Hybrids.

Here are the results for the MatchBurners, cross sectioned.

The jackets measured a consistent .0270" in thickness and the meplat width measured the same size n diameter. View attachment 335970View attachment 335971View attachment 335972View attachment 335973

Here's a Berger Hybrid with the core and cavity for comparison:
View attachment 335974View attachment 335975

I would think they'd perform pretty similarly to the Berger Hybrids with nearly the same jacket thickness and a comparable cavity size in relation to caliber size. I'd be a bit more comfortable with putting a lower limit on the impact velocity at around 1600-1800fps though with the MatchBurners compared to around 1400fps with the Berger Hybrids.
Hell yeah. Thank you brother. I sent some to Simplemindedfella on YouTube back in September. He shot them into ballistic gel and said they performed almost identical to Bergers. I encourage people to check it out and look at his Berger tests as well. Looks like Barnes may have something pretty good here

Hell yeah. Thank you brother. I sent some to Simplemindedfella on YouTube back in September. He shot them into ballistic gel and said they performed almost identical to Bergers. I encourage people to check it out and look at his Berger tests as well. Looks like Barnes may have something pretty good here
I have not seen that particular video, but I like his work/tests.

ADDED: Found it ...

Last edited:
Has anyone done or seen a sectioned Match Burner? I'm really curious what the jacket and nose look like but I don't have the ability to cut one in half. If anyone can do it for me, I have some 140 6.5 bullets I'd be willing to mail
We have the ability to cut your barrel in half if you want to match the bullets to it for a comparison.

I have not seen that particular video, but I like his work/tests.

ADDED: Found it ...

He's very good and not biased. He tells it like it is from what bullets do in the gel. I also sent him some 7mm 155gr Cutting Edge MTH that he'll be testing soon. Thanks for posting the video. I can't figure that stuff out on here