ballistic program question

rug22250

Is there a ballistics program that I can take the environmental data such as temp and elavation from my current location and it will give me results for another potential hunting spot

Is there a ballistics program that I can take the environmental data such as temp and elavation from my current location and it will give me results for another potential hunting spot

if you know your station pressure (barometric pressure where you are at) elevation is a moot point, I always enter my temp and station pressure, then leave the elevation at zero, POI's are on to well beyond 1K
RR

I don`t know how far you are wanting to shoot or at what size targets you will be shooting at so I`ll just tell you about what I do and have found. If you have a rifle that will shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yrds. it should shoot around 4 in. at 800 yrds., but they never seem to do thas well as you think they should. You need to range ceck every drop chart you do an a computor. Some are right on, but most need adjuctment especially when you get to 600 yrds. and behond. Wind drift will get you before drop change due to temp. Run the data for acouple of different elevations and different temps. and you`ll see that to get much difference in drop that you will have to change temp or elev. quite abit.

I'm only gaining about 1000' elevation but temp is going to drop 30 - 40 degrees. I shoot Retumbo powder and want to know what the change in velocity and therefore drop will be.

If all you want to do is check it out online I would use the Berger bullets program, enter you data and hold you cursor over the pressure and that will pop up a chart and you enter the pressure for your elevation. That and a temp give you a decent air density, then just change and see what it moves. It's going to be minimal to 800yrds.
JBM ballistics also does the same thing online.

If you want to buy a program, any one should easily do what your looking for, Loadbase 3.0 is good, Exbal is good, have yet to use the one for your phone but they seem decent.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.