Ballistic calculator app. I need a new one. What do you use?

tctt3

I've been using the nosler app, and it's calculations are spot on. It's just not user friendly, and takes so long to load when I'm changing in between guns or rounds. There are so many calculators on the App Store...just wanted to see what you guys use. Thanks!

Shooter if your just wanting to keep things simple and not going beyond a mile, Applied Ballistics if you want to go stupid long gun)

Yes, Shooter will save multiple guns and will save multiple bullets and zero's for each.

Perfect. For $10, it looks like it does everything!

This always makes me shake my head. We spend 750-2000+ on a scope, 750-4000+ on a rifle, lots of time on reloading and load tuning not to mention hundreds or thousands on hunting trips. All to find the cheapest app we can get away with. Which as far as I'm concerned is probably the most important component of longrange hunting. I guess if all you are wanting is to see how far you can hit stuff this is no big deal. If you are serious about longrange hunting I would recommend you buy multiple apps and see which one works for you, how you input data and matches your field shooting. I have tried applied ballistics, bulletflight fte and ballistic ae. They all have good features aND things I like and don't like. Applied has a bunch of features and tools that help me I like all of those aspects of it. But even with tweaking and using the custom g7 drag model for my 180 bergers it was just never quite right on. After playing with it one day shooting at 1900 yards and still tweaking it, just for kicks I put it into bulletflight fte with g1 ballistics and guess what it was spot on and matched all my data collected that day. So in the field I use bullet flight fte. However bullet flight is just a field calculator and missing all the tools applied ballistics offers. Ballistic ae I got after bulletflight fte but before applied ballistics. It also had some good tools that were missing from bulletflight but that applied kinda covers and more so now I hardly use it anymore. Point is I would buy a few apps, spend the money and put sometime into finding the one the works for you

I use Ballistic for personal (set up in English units) and Ballistic AE for work (set up in metric units). It's a good general purpose tool. I like the user interface, which lets me see all the input parameters on one screen. It has a decent HUD interface too. The programmer frequently adds new features and updates the ammo library. I haven't been motivated to try anything else. Now I have a library of dozens of custom loads, so it would be painful to switch apps.

Ballistic has a cool target scoring routine that's unique. You take a photo of your target, drag the scale bar to calibrate the image, then drag a POI marker over each bullet hole. Ballistic then calculates the group stats for you. It takes a couple of minutes per target to set it up.

Im also in the. Applied Ballistics, and Shooter camp. Shooter is what I use most in the feild but I havent really stretched out to stupid long yet, where the custom drag curves in AB will really shine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.