Bake-on finish questions ...

Bobcape

I have successfully painted and baked 10 to 12 projects using Brownell's Teflon-Moly bake-on rattle can finish. However, I've only done 2 barreled actions. They are difficult for me to bake because of their size. I don't have a dedicated oven at this time. I may make one in the future as space permits; but not right now. I'm getting ready to switch over to the liquid product and start spraying it on.

Here are my questions. I have a buddy that owns a body shop. I've been talking to him about this. He suggested that I try to bake the finish in his cabinet that is heated by commercial infrared lights. We turned it on for about 10 minutes and it heated a piece of metal quite warm. I'm guessing it was 250 to 300 degrees. The cabinet is not enclosed; it is open in the front. I'm thinking that this might work. Heat is heat, right? Has anybody tried this? What was the result? I plan to test this on a scrap piece of steel, but how will I measure if it is as durable as if it had been baked in an oven? Thanks for your input.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.