Action finish question?

Jeebes

I have a Remington 700 SPS originally from walmart that is a flat matte finish. I am going to re barrel it, but want to polish and blue it so its high gloss.

My question is how should I strip the matte finish off the action? Is there anything like aircraft paint stripper that I could use? or how do the pros do it?

I have a Remington 700 SPS originally from walmart that is a flat matte finish. I am going to re barrel it, but want to polish and blue it so its high gloss.

My question is how should I strip the matte finish off the action? Is there anything like aircraft paint stripper that I could use? or how do the pros do it?

It is blued. They simply bead blast the action and blue it, That gives it the mat finish.

The higher the polish on the metal the higher the gloss is when blued.

The only thing to do is buff or sand the action until the mat finish is gone then polish to near chrome look and then hot blue.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.