Baffin Boots:

HARPERC

I have a cracked neck that gives me issues in my hands and feet when it's cold. I've got the hand issues worked out satisfactorily, but my feet not so much.

I'm in need of boots that will keep feet warm in a late season whitetail stand all day. Minimal walking, ATV/Snowmobile compatible a plus.

Kind of cutting my days, and season short. I'd like, at some point, to tackle a Canadian whitetail, or wolf hunt, but until I can resolve the issue at least locally, more extreme hunts would be a waste.

I have a cracked neck that gives me issues in my hands and feet when it's cold. I've got the hand issues worked out satisfactorily, but my feet not so much.

I'm in need of boots that will keep feet warm in a late season whitetail stand all day. Minimal walking, ATV/Snowmobile compatible a plus.

Kind of cutting my days, and season short. I'd like, at some point, to tackle a Canadian whitetail, or wolf hunt, but until I can resolve the issue at least locally, more extreme hunts would be a waste.

Have you considered Heated Socks , Electric Socks : Best Selection of Heated Socks

I just got a set of Thermacell inserts, and very much looking forward to using them. I need to cut them to fit or I would be wearing them now.

With a little luck I can get out calling after Christmas/New Years. I think they can solve my local problem we don't typically see the cold you folks do.

The LRH store stocks a "Heater Body Suit", basically a sleeping bag you can put your boots in, considering things along those lines as well.

I just got a set of Thermacell inserts, and very much looking forward to using them. I need to cut them to fit or I would be wearing them now.

With a little luck I can get out calling after Christmas/New Years. I think they can solve my local problem we don't typically see the cold you folks do.

The LRH store stocks a "Heater Body Suit", basically a sleeping bag you can put your boots in, considering things along those lines as well.

I've seen those advertised for tree stand hunters, not really how they work on stalking. :D:):cool:

I've heated vest too.

I've seen those advertised for tree stand hunters, not really how they work on stalking. :D:):cool:

I've heated vest too.

Not very well I'd imagine, but late season I'm looking more at good stand sites. I don't envy you MT guys the sub zero. Been there done that, we get it on occasion, and its always a shock to our systems.

Thanks! We have a Cabelas local I'll check them out next time. As near as I can figure I'm about 300 miles from anyone carrying the line of Baffin I looked at.

Muckboot artic sport is the boot I use now vs the pac style I grew up using Put your feet in the plastic bags you get at the grocery store. Then a good wool or fleece sock then into the boot, Your feet may be clamy but by keeping the insulation dry your feet will stay warm. I ski patrolled in -42 weather before wind chill was factored in and my feet in ski boots didn't get cold this way.

I've got two pairs of Baffin boots. The Baffin Ice Bear with composite safety toe & plate and the Baffin Barrow -100GEL STP M. Both are great boots. Bought them for work in the Arctic. The Ice Bears are my favorite boot for midnight runs to the outhouse because you can step into them and then shake them off when done. Don't even have to touch them. I wouldn't hike in them at all but they are also very good on ice and slick snow. The Barrows are very warm and super cushioned. Again not a great hiking boot. Can't go wrong with the Bata Bunny boots. My go to winter boot here in Alaska. Also have Muck Arctic Sport ST and Muck Arctic Pro ST, decent boots and warm. I also like my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000's. Pretty decent down to around the single digits and excellent hiking boots. I like them for snowshoeing too. If it isn't brutal cold out. I'd recommend the good old Bata bunny boots. Never heard anybody that complained of cold feet in them.

Not very well I'd imagine, but late season I'm looking more at good stand sites. I don't envy you MT guys the sub zero. Been there done that, we get it on occasion, and its always a shock to our systems.

L:DL! I don't mind the MT extreme weather conditions except for the winds.

I think the body suit/bag should serve you well on a stand. Good luck, stay warm, and happy safe hunting.

Ed

.............. Baffin Barrow -100GEL STP M. Both are great boots........I wouldn't hike in them at all but they are also very good on ice and slick snow..........I also like my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000's.............

Thanks, Internet says Sportsman's Warehouse carries the Barrow, we have one local I'll check them out, My partner votes the Kennetrek's as well I have a pair of their hiking boots, and find them a bit stiff for me, but keep forgetting I don't need to hike in them.

Good on snow and ice is necessary, I don't have many falls left in me!

I have owned the Bunny Boots and really didnt care for them. They are very good for the money but better boots out there. I was looking at the Steiger Mukluks too as I herd they are also very good and not too heavy either. I am looking at getting something for the exact same thing you are. To keep my feet warmer on the stand for those cold weather MN/WI hunts. Well, maybe not this year but "normal" years. I have a friend with the Thermos cell foot inserts and he likes them ok but I dont know if they are worth the cost or not. I am looking for something also small enough to work a climbing stand too so huge fat boots dont help.

I spent a decade working outdoors (oil & gas) in Northern Canada. If I was hiking a fair amount during the day, I always preferred a good winter mountaineering boot.

For the jobs that had me on a well site for my entire shift (sometimes spending 10 of the 12 hours standing outside in temperatures down to -50), I went with a pair of Baffins. I hate the "big mushy clown foot" feeling....but they are the only boots that I know of that will keep your feet warm in that situation. I found that they actually worked better overall than the mukluks that the Canadian Army issues. They were heavier and wouldn't be as well suited for extended arctic operations out of a tent - but better if you get to go inside at night.

Wear nylons or a thin synthetic sock to wick the sweat away from your feet, followed by a thick wool sock. Also, make sure that there is somewhere inside the boot for the moisture from your feet to go - felt or mesh insoles tend to work well.

One other thing - take the liners and the insoles out of the boots as soon as you get back indoors, and get them hung up to dry. You comfort relies on all of that insulation being bone dry when you start your day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.