Badlands Precision Bullets thread - From BC to terminal ballistics

Was hoping for further explanation on their website concerning the Bulldozer 2 versus Bulldozer, but I didn't find anything yet. Perhaps something more will be shared going forward. I don't do Facebook, so info could have been provided there.

I recently purchased an 8.25 twist .338 barrel and an 8.5 twist .308 barrel in order to shoot these bullets.

And a 7-twist .284 may be next. Had been thinking 8-twist until now... Hmmmm...

Last edited:
Just some food for thought here guys. Tipped bullets have tended to exhibit more stability than the calculations show. This is due to the lightweight polymer tip, the bullet acts as though it's only the length of the copper portion of the bullet. In this case the tip is aluminum, so not as light weight as a polymer tip, but still can have some of the same effect. So if you run the stability calculation using a tip length of half what the actual tip length is, and hope that gives a pretty good approximation, you get a stability factor of about 1.4 at 20 degrees F and 29.92 pressure. Probably would work just fine. But Badlands of course can't tell you that, because if you try it and shoot a game animal and have a less than stellar experience, it's a bad deal for them. The bullet gets the blame. But if 1.4 is enough stability and you have the case to push it, it could be a killing machine. Who knows. What do I know. I leave this for the smart people to figure out. :D

Was hoping for further explanation on their website concerning the Bulldozer 2 versus Bulldozer, but I didn't find anything yet. Perhaps something more will be shared going forward. I don't do Facebook, so info could have been provided there.

I recently purchased an 8.25 twist .338 barrel and an 8.5 twist .308 barrel in order to shoot these bullets.

An now a 7-twist .284 may be necessary. Had been thinking 8-twist until now... Hmmmm...
The Super Bulldozer is exactly that. Super. Longer ogives, and longer, more extreme bullet. They're not made with standard twist rate. or magazine considerations. They are an all out extreme performance oriented bullet.

With the Badlands 125gr & Rel 26 I was able to raise the velocity in my 22"Bbl 260 Rem from 2895 to 3032fps. Twist 1/8. At the higher velocity I am getting smaller groups. Sub 1/2. constantly at 100yd. At my 424yd range I can repeatedly smack the 8" target. These are great shooting bullets. Seat deep , & that's it . Accurate.

The Super Bulldozer is exactly that. Super. Longer ogives, and longer, more extreme bullet. They're not made with standard twist rate. or magazine considerations. They are an all out extreme performance oriented bullet.
I just went back and found and re-read your Posts #63 and #64 in this Thread. Pretty good description provided by you there of the modifications and also three pictures comparing the two versions of the Bulldozer bullets.

Thanks for sharing that info.

An now a 7-twist .284 may be necessary. Had been thinking 8-twist until now... Hmmmm...
"Improved b.c., improved minimum expansion velocity, and improved petal retention at high velocity."

Copied from FB, but it gives you an idea on what they worked on. The BC improvement is pretty significant IMO.

copper petals were found inside the chest, just past the ribs, bullet expanded as it passed the hide, as bullet opened up inside the boiler room, it shut down operations with extreme violence, evidence of destruction was torn, shredded lungs & liver along with ripped out piping to heart and other machinery disconnected with extreme prejudice, the second moose was a "Texas Heart Shot" secondary follow up shot on a bull running away after a solid "behind the shoulder" hit with a 7mm Rem Mag by my dad, bullet hit the big hindquarter bone, opened up and shed the petals as it traveled in a straight line the entire length of the bull moose and broke through the heavy neck bones and I found it against the hide when skinning, bull was smashed face down hard, fastest & coolest kill shot I've ever seen,

here's the recovered Badlands 270 gr Super Bulldozer, punched completely through that mature bull moose lengthwise from stern to bow

That trip was kind of cool, first (two) moose for the Badlands 270 gr Super Bulldozer, brand new Lapua 300 Norma Mag brass (thanks to Ryan Pierce) and the then new IMR 8133 purple can powder

The cool part with the Super Bulldozers is you can load them deeper in the case to run in the 3.850" Accurate magazines, unlike the CEB Lazers where the seal tite band dictates your coal

.View attachment 222887View attachment 222888View attachment 222889
I prefer slicing that (instead of more common boiling) cooking and brazing on an open fire with green popple boughs generating smoke--and have it the morning after the kill. Call them ProMoDo--protein moose doughnuts! Absolutely delicious. This is truly a great thread.

Attachments

• 2B2002~1.jpg
    2B2002~1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 211
  • 2C2002~1.jpg
    2C2002~1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 193
I load mine at 4.030 CBTO (338LMAI), but I'm shooting a single shot. Most informative thread--even better as its affirmed my thoughts of the 270 GN SuperDozer.

Test completed with fantastic results !

Last day of the 2020 moose season, in the last few hours of daylight I introduced a bull moose to the new Badlands 30 caliber 205 gr Super Bulldozer ll bullet, I tossed it to him at 250 yards and he caught it with two ribs (in & out) and two lungs, on bullet impact he was knocked off his feet as if a D12 powered through him and ran him over, a few kicks and it was all over, extremely satisfied with the results !!

Autopsy pics coming, we packed out half the bull last night and just finished my 3rd cup of coffee at base camp and heading in to retrieve the rest of the moose now ....View attachment 216125

meant to post these pics earlier but the chaos of life & work gets in the way everytime I think about it, then space it out when I have the time

bullet entered the ribcage breaking ribs on the way in, none of the bullet entrance pics are any good as my iphone camera lens was smudged with bloody hands and I didn't notice at the time,

exit pics tell the tale of a well expanded bullet zipping through & out with good expansion, something I didn't mention earlier is the bullet smashed through the shoulder bone on the offside as it sped through, lungs were wiped out and unrecognizable, missed the heart and got to eat half of it and gave the other half & a big chunk of shoulder meat to some hungry folks,

at only 2" in case length, the 300 LRC carries some good k.o. mojo, duplicating the performance of the much longer 300 Weatherby Magnum

the Badlands Super Bulldozer ll 205 gr 30 cal bullet has definitely impressed me, not only in it's moose smashing ability but also the high bc it carries for bullet weight .... very cool !

now I'm gonna order some in 338 , can't wait to whack the mean scowl offa some ornery bear once he wakes

578B8B71-BF39-46BC-93B8-00938F68A5F3.jpeg
387B818A-A09D-40D6-8FE5-F87EBEBE3608.jpeg
4CFACB93-21AA-4936-848E-ED54C502DB07.jpeg
3C4F8685-A68A-434F-970F-24AD967AB43E.jpeg
A2D60EB1-A260-4E1D-89DB-DF2081AD2AD6.jpeg
D4773F46-A5D0-4350-8340-BDB7F174DF39.jpeg

I was hoping to try the .284 160's but they require a 1-7 twist. I have a 1-8.
You could still try the 150's, they aren't as good as the 160's for bc, but when compared to a 180 Berger, they are very similar with the extra speed.
Same. You can't get a 1:7 twist most places either. Just a 1:8
Most of the custom single point cut barrel makers will custom make a barrel for you, Krieger will do it I know, they charged me $25 for a tighter twist. Bartlien said they would do it as well when I emailed them. If you like to run prefits however, that may certainly narrow your options.

Looking at the numbers, I think I may try the 250 grain SDB-2's in my .338 Norma, comparing them to the 275 sbd-2's and what I could get in my rifle, they are only a couple inches in wind drift behind, energy is still more than the original 270 sbd had at range, and while my rifle doesn't have bad recoil at all, a 250 vs 275 will likely make it more manageable. The extra velocity retained at range won't be a bad thing, and running them in my 9 twist when they only need a minimum of a 10, should only give me more of a good thing as far as terminal performance is considered!

Also, I think we may run the .277 140's in a couple .270 Sherman's we have too, those things outperform the Berger 170 EOL in ballistics!!