Bad lot of winchester primers

the big greasy

I bought a box of winchester primers and shot a few loads the other day to discover holes in the sides of my brass/primers and black all around the primers. My bolt face has little burn marks in it. I've read that winchester will send your money back or replace them with new primers. Does anyone know the recent number to phone, lots have been changed.

These were winchester large rifle magnums. Went back to the few federals I have left and it didn't happen again.

I bought a box of winchester primers and shot a few loads the other day to discover holes in the sides of my brass/primers and black all around the primers. My bolt face has little burn marks in it. I've read that winchester will send your money back or replace them with new primers. Does anyone know the recent number to phone, lots have been changed.

These were winchester large rifle magnums. Went back to the few federals I have left and it didn't happen again.

Several (perhaps quite a few) years back WW produced some bad primers, thin cups I think (can't remember) they made them good on a recall.

You could attempt to research the lot numbers and contact them …..if you have those lot numbers!

Good Luck! memtb

Whenever we get rifles in with pitted bolt faces, the customer invariably is using Winchester primers. I have seen it happen time and again with both their large rifle and magnum primers. Lessons learned. I've seen far too many bolt faces torn up to risk using them. The only Winchester primers I will use are the WSRs and WLPs as I have never had an issue with them or heard of anyone else having leakage while using them.

Can you post a photo of the box of primers @the big greasy ?

As Memtb noted, this was a problem for Winchester a number of years ago. My understanding is that at the time (10yrs ago -ish) Winchester never formally issued a recall. They will replace primers for people that run I to problems though

Hopefully you have an old box of primers and it's not a recurring problem for Winchester.

There is another member here who had this problem recently, I'll see if I can find the thread.

Last edited:
You can contact Winchester and they will send you the lot numbers for bad primers.
I had the lot #s saved but not any longer.

IMG_1027.jpg