Bad lot of CCI 200 primers, lot number D27S

green 788

We've encountered some bad CCI 200 primers. Misfires were running at about 2 to 3 percent, in two different rifles (Winchester model 70 and a Mossberg ATR 100).

Upon inspection of the primers (after disassembling the cartridges that did not fire), I have found a primer cup thickness of only .120"... whereas the good primers are measuring .127" in other batches of CCI 200's, and .128" for WLR's, and .127" for Federal 215's (for comparison).

Since the primer cup is too shallow, the firing pin cannot reach deep enough to ignite the powder. I have further noted that even the primers in this D27S lot that did fire are on the order of .125", maybe .126"... trending too shallow. And accuracy with these faulty primers was horrible... some of the ignitions sounded almost "muzzle loader" like, with shots dropping several MOA below the dialed setting.

Check your CCI primers... again, these are lot number D27S, and were purchased from Walmart in Virginia. I'll be getting in touch with CCI/Speer and will post back what they do--if anything.

Bad primer, measuring .120"...
badbrimercci200.jpg

good primer, measuring .127" (from another lot of CCI 200's)
goodprimercci200.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts