Powder lot number?

Please read the quote more carefully! It is comparing mixing two DIFFERENT powders in this instance. Mixing two lots of the same powder with identical burn rates isn't even worth talking about because it is rare and would totally nullify the entire procedure anyway right?

Look guys, this thread isn't meant for me to fend off every fan of mixing out there! I never said it was against the law to mix powders and I never tried to take the opportunity away from you. I merely presented some facts about it so others could learn about both sides of the argument. I simply won't mix powders myself or for my customers and the vast majority of precision reloaders don't do it either. Period. If you want to do it, by all means, blow yourself up! Screw your groups up and your standard deviations. Chase your tail trying to figure out what your powder is doing as if there wasn't already enough things to worry about. It just makes my stuff look better. Just don't shoot at the bench next to me. That's all I ask.

Nuff said. Where's the Tylenol?

Goodgrouper, mixing 2 different powders IS really stupid.

I believed this discussion to be about mixing different lots of the same powder.

And the real question was simple, Where's the LOT number on a can of Retumbo??

My guess is that it's on the side or bottom of the tub.

On the runaway hijacked LOT mixing portion.

SO there you have it, some mix LOTs together and some don't; we're back to where we started.

I guess there are two big questions.

1) Where was that lot number located on the Retumbo?

2) How are we going to get all those marbles back into the correct single colored piles??

Take care.

[ QUOTE ]
Please read the quote more carefully! It is comparing mixing two DIFFERENT powders in this instance. Mixing two lots of the same powder with identical burn rates isn't even worth talking about because it is rare and would totally nullify the entire procedure anyway right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeeze Gudgrouper - You know, you shouldn't tell lies in a forum like this.

Reason is - It's so **** easy to check!!

I just called Hodgdon (1-913-362-9455) and spoke to Mike Daily (sp?) a powder engineer, and asked him if it's OK to mix different lots of the same powder (H-322), and he said, "Sure it is, just roll the container around a few times to mix them".

I'm sorry... but this whole part of the discussion was (from the start) about mixing two lots of the SAME POWDER... ie two cans of H-322 with different lot numbers. GO back and read the thread FROM THE START, dummy.

Somewhere you were so busy pontificating that you got lost in the process.

Maybe next time you might come down from your high chair and pay more attention to the conversation.

-

uncleB... you can chime in anytime you want!

[ QUOTE ]
How are we going to get all those marbles back into the correct single colored piles??

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunatly you don't. Some idiot I know once dumped about 1/4 of a pound of H4350 into a nearly full can of US869. Despite his best efforts using window screen etc, those dang marbles insisted on staying together!!

[ QUOTE ]
Gudgrouper, dummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, name calling Catshooter? I thought I was going up against a more sophisticated adversary than that. Darn. That really shows your maturity level and education level. How disappointing. Didn't know you couldn't handle debates like a grown man. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe next time you might come down from your high chair and pay more attention to the conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This coming from the guy who thought we were talking about black and white marbles when I actually said red and green beads. Yeah, your attention to detail is astonishing bud.
Actually, go back and read the first quote from Hodgdon in my earlier post. They said it was not a good idea to mix two lots of the same powder, Never, never, never, remember?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe next time you might come down from your high chair

[/ QUOTE ]

Get after a guy because he shows some credentials to back up his argument why don't ya. Just because you obviously have none to share isn't my fault. Shooting the neighbors kitty cats with your Red Ryder is not a shameful thing if it's all you have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You know, you shouldn't tell lies in a forum like this.

Reason is - It's so **** easy to check!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, this is brilliant. You should take a bit of your own advice because I just got off the phone with your Mike Daily and he didn't recall ever talking to you this morning about the subject. I then asked him what he thought about mixing two lots of same powder and he said, "if they are two current and similiar lots, you'd probably be ok but never mix two lots that are apart in production". And then he said, "never mix two different powders".

Lies are bad and I don't see where I ever lied. My quote stands true. Why would you want to mix two lots of the same powder if they were identical anyway? Do you just like to make work for yourself. Do you buy your gas and then stir it up before putting it in your tank just so you can go throught the motion? And if you would more closely read the quote, it says at the bottom that finding two lots that are identical is impossible so why even talk about it.

Sheesh. If your going to get into a debate, bring more than namecalling and b.s. to it so you can at least LOOK like you know what you're doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

WHOA

Can we get everyone back into thier proper corner...

My personal observations:

1) Things seem different in print and there's also the spectator vs participant view of the issue.

2) I don't believe CatShooter or GoodGrouper began specifically at odds with one another, more a lively debate (even with the goodhearted jabs included). I do believe the topic may/could be headed away from goodhearted pokes and I'd rather it didn't.

3) In the several years I've personally observed directly or indirectly the results of directly questioning factory reps, subject matter experts (SMA), points-of-contact (POC) and even Mum and Dad I've sort of come to the belief that:

a) Many of these folks are easily lead (by design or inadvertantly) to a desired conclusion.

b) Some will tell us what we want to hear from their assessment of the situation and conversation. They don't want to excalate the conversation or in some cases are just drawing a pay check and want to end the conversation quickly.

c) Unless a company rep, POC, SMA or other authority figure will give an answer in writing they often deny any knowledge of previous discussions on the matter ( see item "b)").

d) Some reps, doctors, whomever that deal with a lot of folks in the course of a day don't remember those previous discussions or to whom they spoke... (That's why we need info in writing, to remind them we exist(ed)).

e) Phone conversations or other non-documented two party verbal discussions are valuable as "hear-say" only.

These are some of my beliefs and filters with which I process info.

SO... Let's continue but the "I called" and "I called" and so-and-so said amount to little for verification of whether an event occurred or not. We'd need to get a larger sample then seek a mean, throwing out any "leading the witness", inattentive rep, etc, etc.

ChasinElk

Not a problem.

I'm just a bit interested in the technical aspects of powder LOTs and acceptable variations too (as are others I believe) but I think we're headed about it a little off key and haphazardly(?) (is that a word??).

I we can get focused and get known good data on acceptable variations and manufacturing processes I think I'd be better informed on what's happening when I pour that stuff together and shake it until I begin to worry about a static spark!

A little barking on LRH is okay but don't do it too loud or long enough to wake Len!!

Actually....I'm the guy that said he mixed 3 #'s together first! I went to the range today with my usual loads after the mixing.....all is well.....same velocity I was getting and same accuracy. Maybe they make this stuff fairly consistant. I AM SORRY TOO THAT I STARTED THIS.
Being an idiot I will continue to mix... as I've done for years....may not be a good thing for the next guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.