Mixing lot# of Winchester brass

tbrice23

I've been trying to get enough 300 win mag brass to replace my older 5× shot brass in a few more firings.
So far I've acquired 3 lot numbers. I weighed 20 random cases from each lot#. They all were within 4 grains of each other Which is 1.6% of the heaviest cace weighed.
The neck thickness average is the same for all lot#s. (I'm not even going to go into the neck thickness variance).
I would LOVE to mix all lots but everything I've ever read or told is to keep lots separate.
I recently called Winchester (Olin) about this and was told all my lot#s were the same.1hc31 1hc11 1hc41. I ask him if these #s indicated different machines or sheets or days made he told me it was "proprietary"! (Which ****ed me off) and that every piece of brass made since 1970 something has been made from the same recipe of brass which is hard to believe.

Should I combine or just be happy I finally have enough to make a useable amount and shut up and start shooting.

The only brass I've ever owned that was same-lot was Lapua for my .308 Win, and 1 bag of 50 Win .25-06 brass for my .25-06 AI, which I don't even use anymore, it's now formed and cleaned for backup brass.

The Lapua stays in it's own lots because I have 100rd boxes that I load 100 rounds in, and my Lapua brass comes in 100ct boxes. :D

Seriously, other than that, there is no other brass from the same lot, that I own, that I am aware of. Alot of the stuff I use is re-purposed range pickups.

Thats what I think too. I understand that if any or all signs weights and measurements indicated a difference in the 3 lots.
I just don't want to find out that I might have messed up by combining lots. After I do combine it's pretty much irreversible.

I separate new brass by weight, and make my own "lots" this way

I do too. I have did the volume vs weight test (in fired and fully preped brass) multiple times and multiple calibers and manufacturers and found that weight most often correlates to volume in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.