ATV advice

I own and run an ATV-UTV service and repair shop , my favorite is Honda's lines of foreman's. the Rancher 420 is a very good bike and plenty of power. you can get it in many different models, with out without Power steering, electric shift or manual shift. We rebuild all makes in here and that particular motor is by far the least expensive to go through, guys water ride here and destroy them all lol we just went through an arctic cat 1000 xtz side by side and his bill was 3995.00. can ams are the same way with their babbit plain bearings on the cranks, very pricey to go through and maintenance parts are high. the rancer comes in straight axle rear or IRS, independent rear suspension

I have an arctic Cat 250 (foot shift & low range. It is a 2002. I useit to pull a trailer and general work around the farm. I have an 2012 Artic Cat 550i with ps. It is fast, manuverable, and.reliable. My workhorse is a 2001 Honda Rancher foot shift 450? It is ultra reliable. Only routine
Maintenance except the 250 which needs a carberator rebuild currently. Tae care of them and they take care of you.

My buddy has the big CanAm - loves it no troubles

I was into Honda when younger - (1992 350 - & my fav. 2004 300) - hauled out many a Moose & Elk - I'm not into speed or mud bogging - just riding deep into wilderness & hauling Camp & Critters - wud have kept Honda 300 forever as it was light, good power to weight ration & bullet proof - gravity feed fuel, no pumps, kick start if required — only problem Honda Stiff Suspension ! Well lost both to Fire
Older now & as I keep everything forever - Bought a 2014 Suzuki 500 w/POWER STEERING !!!! Would never have otherwise Again — good & reliable - comfort to travel on for dis ole carcass !!!
Couldn't B Happier with my choice

Good luck in your search - BUT trust me - Get POWER Steering

I am a retired Professional Land and Mineral Surveyor. Used a Honda Rancher most of the last 15 years. Built a rack on the front and put a big box on the rear to haul gear. Lots of tough back country. Mostly trails and not roads in all Western States. Retired in 2011. Still have my 2004 Honda and its going strong. Just "pricey" these days. Bass Pro has a new brand with great prices. Thought of buying a new one for $7000k just to putts around in Arizona back roads. Same size Honda machine $12,000 to $14,000. But worth every penny if you want it to last. Most guys buying ATVs are just for fun and tearing up the Forest. The west is full of the **** noisy things. The USFS in Arizona are restricting areas for ATVs on a daily basis.

my experience is limited. I have a Honda rancher 2 wheel drive once the back end goes down in mud, I am sure to get stuck. my buddy has a Polaris 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler and he has yet to get stuck. I got a good deal on a Polaris ranger I am truly impressed with its ability to handle mud. I hunt in north Texas and all the roads/trail are what the oil lease man uses to check the pumps and when its wet and muddy it gets to be a mess.

My buddies use Rhino, Rager, Polaris, Honda all with great results. The side by side don't go where smaller ones will, but are great with chainsaws, deer and such. My Honda starts with year old gasoline and the battery stays charged for months without attention. Pulls itself from nose down in ditch at 60 degrees down. I run in swamps and woodlands.

My side by side Pioneer is trail rated and the width of a single, just longer.
I agree with your story... the independent suspension is crazy on these.

When I was buying, I didn't look anywhere but Honda for their shaft-driven reliability. I tend to find water a lot and I don't like the belt driven bikes. Keep an eye out Marketplace and Craigslist, I just picked up a 2015 Foreman 500 with less than 100 hours for $2K.

When I was buying, I didn't look anywhere but Honda for their shaft-driven reliability. I tend to find water a lot and I don't like the belt driven bikes. Keep an eye out Marketplace and Craigslist, I just picked up a 2015 Foreman 500 with less than 100 hours for $2K.

So just how hot is it? Good thing there isn't a central registry for ATVs.;)

Good morning, Pete: you are asking members to help you decide between a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? Good luck with that one. Consider this, atv's like rifles with different calibers, barrels, etc have different functions. Same is true with atv's. First try and decide what your uses are and then try and find a used atv which best fits your needs. Understand that seat-time, like shooting time, can often change your wants. My experience suggest that you will, mostly likely, make a change in your choice of atv's. Good luck.

Honda Rancher here for 9yrs, one problem with auto trans, electric shift worked fine when auto was giving me a problem, wasn't downshifting to low, reasonable $ fix. I have a Polaris 1999 Polaris 6x6 had to put a cam in it, my fault not keeping oil changed properly. Just find one that has had proper care. I guess I would be looking at Honda w/efi if I needed one now.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
Hard to beat the Honda Rancher for a 4X4 ! I've had several and they last forever with a good work out ! I like the yamaha for a side by side as it fits in the back of a standard pickup !

For my 2 bits worth, I have a 94 AC 400cc (Yamaha engine) 4wheel dr and it does everything i have needed and the AC is really solidly built especially the racks, I've pulled atv trailers with good sized elk and stayed in High range. We hunt hunt in Montana and the ranchers we know over the years have gone away from polaris for Honda for the reason the service guy stated.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
Can't beat a Honda for dependability and parts when you need them down the road. I had a 1984 (the first year they made a 4 wheeler) TRX 200 that was still in great shape when I sold it a few years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.