Atlas bipods: what am I missing?

Better pan and ability to move legs fore and aft seem to be the most noted differences. I have neither and am shopping for a good bipod so I like this thread...

Here's my take on it.
-Atlas bipod legs lock. They give you enough forward/backward play to load the bipod and have it recoil true but they won't fold up accidentally if you are in a rush to get into position and are jostling the rifle around and especially if you're in weird positions and kinda man-handling the rifle while you're trying to get the reticle level.
-The ADM QD mount makes it easily and quickly removable/attachable. I scabbard my guns when I'm hunting and having the bipod off of them makes the insert/removal of the rifle far easier, and I can pull the rifle, pull the bipod out of a side pocket, and be on the ground ready to go in a hurry. For my slung rifles I also leave it detached so it doesn't interfere with shooting sticks (I know it can easily be avoided, but it's nice not wrangling the rifle with the bipod and sling all tangled when you're all excited trying to quickly and quietly get set up).
-Because they detach easily, you don't need to buy a bunch of them. For the longest time I only owned one and just swapped it to all of my rifles as I used them. Then I built a couple more dedicated heavy target rifles and decided to splurge for a beefier Atlas model to go with them.
-It's definitely a simple mechanism but they came up with it first, made it reliable, and are asking for you to pay for that.

Just my $0.02

I find the pan to be a place i get to much slop that I can't tighten out on many and its been more of a pain than an asset.
Im torn on the three position legs, I find it make the gun move differently through recoil for each position and I just generally cant keep them as consistent as the Harris.

Here's my take on it.
-Atlas bipod legs lock. They give you enough forward/backward play to load the bipod and have it recoil true but they won't fold up accidentally if you are in a rush to get into position and are jostling the rifle around and especially if you're in weird positions and kinda man-handling the rifle while you're trying to get the reticle level........
Just my $0.02

Atlas produces models with and without the "forward-backward" play in the legs. I have the Atlas non-rigid model and have found that the "play" produces an arc in upward barrel movement on recoil that causes shots to hit high when forward loading the bi-pod. It's a similar effect on shot placement to having a loose pic-rail mount. I can eliminate this by pulling the stock very hard onto my shoulder......much harder then necessary then with the rigid leg Atlas, Evolution, or Harris(which is very rigid as long as you stay off the lowest leg position which under spring tension). You can see this movement(arc) with the Atlas by loading forward and backward and observing the reticle "arcing" on target on the bench with a flat rear rest. For PRS competition and hunting I prefer a bipod with very rigid legs.

Last edited:
I also have a early atlas with a lot of movement in the legs. Was getting lots of vertical when using it. Even my groups at 100 yds were not consistent. Switched back to a Harris and everything improved. They are a very nicely made bipod and maybe I should try a rigid leg model.

I'm a lifelong Harris user (and cheap). I don't see a need for something else, but haven't tested the atlas. Do you see a difference at long range? Please explain. Thanks
Everything else aside, the Gen2 CAL is better in terms of stability than a Harris based on geometry. At the same height, the Atlas will have a wider stance, and the barrel will sit within the "triangle"; the Harris will have a narrower stance and the barrel will site on top of the "triangle".

Both will work, but one will make the shooter work a little harder. Heck, you can lash two sticks together and use it as a rest, but that won't work as well as a Harris. I used Harris' for ~20 years, I now only have Harris as back-ups.

Can't help but think those bipods that are breaking are cheap harris knockoffs(there are a lot of these out there). I have beat the living heck out of my harris bipods and they keep going.
A couple months back I found a small box (12) of broken Harris bipods in our supply, my Supply SGT was going to purchase more. I told him to call them about a warranty. They sent us a dozen in no time. Ours get used A LOT and if they break its usually here (not my photo, simply googled it):

Attachments

• 61B335EA-E356-440B-B2F7-D3482E851FE5.jpeg
    61B335EA-E356-440B-B2F7-D3482E851FE5.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 228
I've had great luck with the Harris I have about 4 different sizes of them, I take them from my muzzle loaded to my rifles to my kids guns find them in the back seat and on the truck floor. I've shot little groups with the short legged ones and many critters with the long legged ones. I just cant bring myself to spend the extra money on something else. I have to keep a little jingle in the pocket for Jim Beam!

I have 3 sets of Harris Swivel bipods with the pod lock they work very well but I don't like that they are heavy and dig into your shoulder while hunting. Two years ago I bought my first Javelin bipod and I like them much better because they are made of carbon fiber and they attach to a swivel stud replacing adapter, that still allows you to attach a sling, and allows you to attach bipod via a magnet. I like the first Javelin so well I recently bought the Javelin Pro Hunt that has locking legs, both have a locking panning lever.

Can't help but think those bipods that are breaking are cheap harris knockoffs(there are a lot of these out there). I have beat the living heck out of my harris bipods and they keep going.
I have beat the heck out of two of my Harris bipods hunting with them . One I've had for probably 30 yrs. And the other 20 plus. Both stud mounts. Bought a Cadwell carbon fiber bipod last year. It's just one level above a ***. I had to work on it the day I got it to get one of the leg releases to work. Was to tight . Now the swivel is so loose it moves around when folded up. I see no way to get it any tighter than I have it. I like the rail mount tho. I'll stick with Harris. I just bought a short one for the bench.

I'm watching this one..I can't use any bipod? I shoot better off my pack or wadded up jacket? They seem to hop or something to me?
Same here. I've never been able to effectively shoot off a bipod unless I jam the bipod against something and load it up. I shoot off a bag or pack. Are we just weird?

I've owned both. For me the Atlas has far more positions I can use it in. Here's a few positives that the Atlas has over the Harris IMO.
  • 45* frontwards or rearwards
  • Less bulky, no springs to get caught on stuff
  • pan and tilt option is very useful in awkward positions
  • The ability to use leg extensions in a snap
  • The ability to change the feet in snap
  • Deploys without the spring clank

I've owned both. For me the Atlas has far more positions I can use it in. Here's a few positives that the Atlas has over the Harris IMO.
  • 45* frontwards or rearwards
  • Less bulky, no springs to get caught on stuff
  • pan and tilt option is very useful in awkward positions
  • The ability to use leg extensions in a snap
  • The ability to change the feet in snap
  • Deploys without the spring clank
Great description. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.