Atlas Bipods

TheFishBox

How far forward can you mount the rail on a rifle stock? I just got an atlas an was trying to decide where to place the rail. I was thinking I want it as far forward as possible to have more weight on the rear of the rifle but using the existing hole where the sling mount is, only leaves about an inch and half of stock. Is that gonna cause problems?

As long as the rail is solidly mounted, location will not make a difference in shooting quality. Some stock designs have the bipod attached to the front end of the forearm. It might make a difference in how the rifle carries when using a sling due to the forward sling mount location if the sling stud is integral with the rail as seen with the Seekins.

I would try to keep it as far forward as reasonably possible. The farther to the rear you go, the more likely you are to experience negative effects in the balance of the rifle.

Most aftermarket Pic rails utilize the sling swivel stud location as the mounting location for one of the fasteners of the rail. You should be fine.

Here is a custome rifle with a custom rail installed (LongRifles Inc).

6-5WSM-6.jpg

Hope that helps,

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.