At what point do I give up and rebarrel

Yes, I have a TAB Gear rear bag. The targets that I showed were with the factory Remington X-Mark trigger. I have just installed a 2.5 lb Timney so I'm going to give that a go. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but the Timney "feels" like it is the same or even a little stiffer than my factory trigger, but it doesn't have any creep. I contacted Tinmey and they said that I can adjust it in the same manner as a Remington trigger if I decide to lighten it up.
ta406,
Hopefully when you decide to adjust the Timney you can get it to have a nice ,clean break. Kind of like breaking a glass rod is the feel you want. Have you tried using a standard style bag like a Protektor or Edgewood rear bag?

ta406,
Hopefully when you decide to adjust the Timney you can get it to have a nice ,clean break. Kind of like breaking a glass rod is the feel you want. Have you tried using a standard style bag like a Protektor or Edgewood rear bag?

I do have a Protektor rabbit ear bag. I have tried that in combination with a sinclair lightweight front rest off of a bench but I didn't care much for that setup. I didn't like the way that the muzzle jumped up during recoil. Even with a muzzle brake, I felt like the rifle wanted to jump out of the front rest. I tried to hold the for-end of the stock to prevent that but then I found myself muscling the rifle onto the target rather having a nice natural point of aim. But when loading a bipod I felt like my recoil management was better. I felt more comfortable shooting prone off a bipod. But judging from my groups I could be wrong. I have not tried the Protektor bag with a bipod. What would be a good setup for load development?

I do have a Protektor rabbit ear bag. I have tried that in combination with a sinclair lightweight front rest off of a bench but I didn't care much for that setup. I didn't like the way that the muzzle jumped up during recoil. Even with a muzzle brake, I felt like the rifle wanted to jump out of the front rest. I tried to hold the for-end of the stock to prevent that but then I found myself muscling the rifle onto the target rather having a nice natural point of aim. But when loading a bipod I felt like my recoil management was better. I felt more comfortable shooting prone off a bipod. But judging from my groups I could be wrong. I have not tried the Protektor bag with a bipod. What would be a good setup for load development?
ta406,
Always "load" the bipod before breaking the shot. Also we found that carpeting or something like that also dampens the jumping affect. Try a Protektor rabbit ear ( if you like more side support on the stock) or a bunny ear ( less side support) with cordura ears. Be sure to use a pure silicon spray to lube the ears before starting your session. Also suggest you fill the bag and ears with the heavy bag sand sold by Sinclair ( get the funnel too!) fill the ears FIRST and use the funnel to help pack the sand into them so they are tight. Then do the bag body the same. You want the ears to support the stock so that it does NOT TOUCH THE BAG BODY. If you need a spacer to get the rear bag higher get the OTTO BAG STABILIZER or make spacers out of different thicknesses of plywood. )F-TR competition websites have some good advice on this and set up since that is basically what you are doing) . Once you have the setup figured out now you have to find how the rifle likes to be shot . Experiment with cheek pressure, shoulder position behind the stock, trigger hand position ( does the rifle like the wrist of the stock gripped or does it like the thumb behind the trigger guard and just "pinch" the trigger between the thumb and trigger finger) ETC. MAKE SURE THE REAR SLING SWIVEL IS REMOVED and the stock slides smoothly in the bag and dosen't skip. Start here first before you look at getting a front rest. Rear bags mentioned above are Protektor bags #749-005-815 (bunny) and 749-005-810 (rabbit) SKIP OTTO bag stabilizer is 749-004-093. These are numbers off the SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL website. Heavy sand and funnel can be found here also. Hope this helps!

ta406,
Always "load" the bipod before breaking the shot. Also we found that carpeting or something like that also dampens the jumping affect. Try a Protektor rabbit ear ( if you like more side support on the stock) or a bunny ear ( less side support) with cordura ears. Be sure to use a pure silicon spray to lube the ears before starting your session. Also suggest you fill the bag and ears with the heavy bag sand sold by Sinclair ( get the funnel too!) fill the ears FIRST and use the funnel to help pack the sand into them so they are tight. Then do the bag body the same. You want the ears to support the stock so that it does NOT TOUCH THE BAG BODY. If you need a spacer to get the rear bag higher get the OTTO BAG STABILIZER or make spacers out of different thicknesses of plywood. )F-TR competition websites have some good advice on this and set up since that is basically what you are doing) . Once you have the setup figured out now you have to find how the rifle likes to be shot . Experiment with cheek pressure, shoulder position behind the stock, trigger hand position ( does the rifle like the wrist of the stock gripped or does it like the thumb behind the trigger guard and just "pinch" the trigger between the thumb and trigger finger) ETC. MAKE SURE THE REAR SLING SWIVEL IS REMOVED and the stock slides smoothly in the bag and dosen't skip. Start here first before you look at getting a front rest. Rear bags mentioned above are Protektor bags #749-005-815 (bunny) and 749-005-810 (rabbit) SKIP OTTO bag stabilizer is 749-004-093. These are numbers off the SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL website. Heavy sand and funnel can be found here also. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! Looks like I have a lot of things to work on.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I have definitely learned a lot!

Hunting rifle. I primarily shoot off a Harris bipod and rear bag. I have tried shooting off a bench using a front rest but there were really no changes in my groups. The two target are both 3 shot groups at 200 yards using 300gr OTM's .005 off. .125 off the lands shoots pretty well too baring any fliers. Pretty much everything in-between those 2 seating depths the groups really open up. One target was 90gr H1000 the other was 94gr of Retumbo. I arrived at .005 off the lands after running Bergers seating depth test a couple of times.

These are pretty typical of the POI of the fliers. Once in a great while the flier will go high but they are usually low and/or to the right.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I appreciate it.

Untitled_zps7d478fa5.jpg

I have let an experienced shooter shoot my gun when I seem to have an issue. Most of the time it was me doing something wrong. Just another check before u throw in the towel. One time it wasn't my scope was actually moving

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

I've had a number of rifles that absolutely wouldn't shoot until I found the rough seating depth they liked which has turned out to be almost a quarter of an inch jump sometimes. Doing this can make a dramatic difference in group size and is one of the first things I do in load development. I go about 1-1/2 to 2 % below recommended max powder charge and follow the above method as deep as I can reasonably seat the bullet. If you only tested .125" off the lands, you may have quit testing a little to early.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.