Load development what do I do next?

Lonewolf74

Ok so I've been working on loads for 2 rifles using more a less the 10 round load development technique. Each round I fire has a half grain charge increase, I'm shooting through a crono to a target at 350 yards. My question is should I pay more attention to the chrono data or what the paper tells me?

For example (don't have exact numbs in front of me right now) in my 300 mag all rounds velocity increased 20-40 fps with each charge increase until the last 2, number 8 and 9. I actually got a 15fps loss in velocity with the increased charge in shot 9 so I'm thinking there's a node there. Velocity kept rising up to that point. However on paper there is about a 2" rise from shot 7 to 8 and another 2" rise from 8 to 9. I also got on paper shots 5, 6 and 7 on about the same vertical line but there was a pretty big velocity spread between these 3 shots. So based in the paper I would look at #6 charge weight but going off the chrono I think it should be #9 charge, which should I look closer at?

Also I never hit pressure signs with my charges so I could continue to increase a half grain for 2-3 rounds and see what I see.
So any input is appreciated

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts