Load development what do I do next?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Lonewolf74, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Lonewolf74

Lonewolf74 Well-Known Member

I have used this method as well and know it works well I'm just trying to see if I can derive at the same answer with a few less shots...though it seems I might end up chasing my tail some.

Basically what I had in mind is to find a node using the 10 shot deal then dissect it further with 3 shot groups. For example let's say it does appear to be a node at 77 grains. I would then load up 3 rounds at 76.7, 3 at 77 and 3 at 77.3 and see what gave me the best group and ES

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I would put more credence in the target then. I would still use the chrono to load develop.

Steve

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I do think you are on the right track.

Steve

4. Lonewolf74

Lonewolf74 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input guy's. I know I can find super accurate loads with respectable es and sd I just may not be at a level that I can do it in 20 shots or so.
    I love shooting for fun and practice to learn my rifle but I get frustrated spending so much time on load development. Guess I gotta step back and know I've mastered the basics before I try taking the short routs.

5. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

Learn to enjoy the load development!!!

There is nothing more satisfying then seeing tight little groups after all your hard work, but getting to that point is a challenge, and it makes you think. The challenge is one of my favorite parts of a new rifle .