Are We More Temp Sensitive Than Powders?

Muddyboots

All I read constantly is how temp sensitive certain powders are and stay away! So for a gazillion years we shot knowing that and shot fine for majority of HUNTING of big game. Temp sensitivity I have read, seems to kick in around 85 for most powders which is way above temps I hunt at in the fall. If you know you are going to hunt above temps that can affect the powder you are using, don't use it! If you are reloading, you need to be aware of all powders characteristics whether burn rate or temp range.

So those who are truly concerned over this, I will take ALL of your RL26 off your hands to protect you!! Just in case you have ANY RL26 that is.

My PSA for the day.

Muddy - You make a good point. Obviously if you are shooting at a range in 90 degree heat, temp stability is more important. I think the vast majority of hunting situations will be within the range where temp stability will not be a big concern. I like to eliminate variables that can cause problems, but temp stability is way down the list of priorities for me. Get a small cooler to carry your ammo to the range on hot days.

Outside of the obvious availability issues, why shoot temp sensitive powders in this era? The hodgdon extreme line as well as many recently introduced viht powders seem to be very stable across large swings in temperature.

An issue more prevalent than running poor powders, improperly bedded action/stock interfaces. As a typical fall day can produce a 60° air temp swing from morning to afternoon... peoples rifles tend not to be correctly constructed to allow consistent POI across such a swing.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

A temp sensitive powder TO ME, is how much velocity is increased or decreased in fps, for every degree in temp..whether it's ambient outdoor temp, or the chamber temp of a gun that's starting to get hot, from multiple rounds being fired

Paying attention to temp sensitive powders is very important TO ME

Especially when sighting in the hunting rifles in the summer at 75 to 90*, and then hunting in 30 to -20* temps

Some powders are very temp sensitive when they get "cooked" in a hot chamber as well...hot summer day, or in an AR

If you know you are going to hunt above temps that can affect the powder you are using, don't use it! If you are reloading, you need to be aware of all powders characteristics whether burn rate or temp range.
I have never hunted in October November December above the powder temp sensitivity range. Again, I say you need to know your powder limitations as a concientious reloader and develop your loads accordingly.

If a powder gives me best performance with some temp sensitivity, I will manage accordingly. What is so difficult to do that?

Managing barrel temp while shooting is no different for all powders at range.

I have never hunted in October November December above the powder temp sensitivity range. Again, I say you need to know your powder limitations as a concientious reloader and develop your loads accordingly.

If a powder gives me best performance with some temp sensitivity, I will manage accordingly. What is so difficult to do that?

Managing barrel temp while shooting is no different for all powders at range.
^This!^

It would do well for anyone reading this thread to observe that there are many different definitions of success when it pertains to stability, accuracy, and precision.

After all, in order for all the options of components and equipment to exist, there have to be enough people that can't tell the difference to keep buying it all. Otherwise those products would cease to exist. Don't let that fool you into thinking there isn't a difference. Because there is.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Meanwhile, I took my 6 dasher to the prairie dog town last week with rounds I loaded who knows when over 9 months ago. I let a young 16yr old kid shoot, his first time out. Literally never killed anything beyond 2-300yds before. He killed 19 prairie dogs from 364yds to 885yds, and he only missed 3 times.

With a rifle setup right and use of quality components... there's no reason everyone can't do that.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

for the long range target shooters and the handful of true long range hunters that want to squeeze every last 1/4 MOA out of there equipment it means a lot. for the average hunter that might shoot to 500 yds more likely under 300 yds it wont make that much of a difference but in all reality it is a good selling point and great for internet fodder

Especially when sighting in the hunting rifles in the summer at 75 to 90*, and then hunting in 30 to -20* temps
Maybe minute-of-pie-plate hunters popping does under a feeder that have been using the same 5 boxes of Core-Lokts they bought at K-Mart in 1994 can get away with that, but knowing temp stability of a powder to avoid checking zero is not a serious argument.

I don't control the weather. My rifle needs to perform as anticipated no matter what it's doing outside.

There's no such thing as choosing velocity over stability in my systems.
I agree, if 200 more FPS is just non-negotiable and absolutely critical to a shot, then step up the case to get it instead of pushing something outside it's envelope. Why overpressure the heck out of a 300 WM when there are a half dozen 30 cal options that could hit that speed without pushing the case past the point of sanity.

Seems like the more casual side of this sport is stuck in the "faster is better" magnum mentality. Putting something smaller and slower through the boiler room is always better than missing, no matter how fast the bullet you missed with was going.