Are We More Temp Sensitive Than Powders?

For anyone going on a hog hunt...Set up a chronograph and try loading up some RL-17 loads for light bullets in a 6.5CM AR...please report back with your findings.

Or how about IMR 3031 in a 6.5 Grendel, please let us know how that goes.

We are only talking about hot chambers on this example, not ambient air temp

Velocity numbers don't lie...what are they?
I guess hog hunting can get a little crazy. With no limits and their pest nature . I hunt whitetail with my AR and never see high chamber Temps. I let my stuff cool when doing load development and bench work. Just because the gun has the ability to rip 30 rounds in a matter of seconds, doesn't mean you should. Paying 500bucks for a Lilja 6.5 Grendel barrel just so I can punch groups on par with the best bolt gun makes me take a little better care of my ARs. The only way I will ever know if chamber heat has a major effect on my AR is if we get into a pickle in this crazy world we live in now. I won't care at that point . Till then, I will treat it as well as any fine bolt gun .
I do see your point. I just wanted to point out that some of us don't go round ripping with our junk. There are plenty of 500.00 AR gun avaliable to rip the guts out of if thats what you want. Id never , almost never, rip a clip in any of my 2k+ dollar ARs.

Out here in southern NM, fall temps can range from low 20s in the morning to 90+ degrees in the afternoons. I'd rather not take the chance.
Desert hunting can be very tricky for that reason . Honestly, I'd be much more concerned of i hunted in temp swings like you do. In GA, fall temps are 25 to 85 degrees at the extremes. Winter Temps are 20 to 75 at the extremes. Summer 60 to 105. Daily Temps in all 3 seasons are usual within 25* lows to highs.

Now that my reloader supplier has determined that my RL19 was contaminated it's back to the drawing board WRT it's place in my hunting loads. BTW it was a piece of machinery from the factory. This is what he said anyway

I have used a lot of IMR Powder in the past. I generally don't now. I had a pat load with IMR 4831 in the late winter that was an excellent grouping under 1/2" @ 100Yds. Weather was somewhere around 50 to 60. Moved into the summer and pushed a primer out of the case. Gave the powder away. For me at the time it was about 120 mile round trip to the range and back. I wasn't really aware of temp powders at that time. Never cross that bridge again. At that time there wasn't all the gear out there to do your figuring for you. It was good old Kentucky Windage.
I see on here time after time pictures of hot loads and they are wondering what's go on. I realize that people don't have the experience that other have, and this one of the places to set out information on all items on reloading. I am not saying not to use the powder, but be careful.

Last edited:
I guess hog hunting can get a little crazy. With no limits and their pest nature . I hunt whitetail with my AR and never see high chamber Temps. I let my stuff cool when doing load development and bench work. Just because the gun has the ability to rip 30 rounds in a matter of seconds, doesn't mean you should. Paying 500bucks for a Lilja 6.5 Grendel barrel just so I can punch groups on par with the best bolt gun makes me take a little better care of my ARs. The only way I will ever know if chamber heat has a major effect on my AR is if we get into a pickle in this crazy world we live in now. I won't care at that point . Till then, I will treat it as well as any fine bolt gun .
I do see your point. I just wanted to point out that some of us don't go round ripping with our junk. There are plenty of 500.00 AR gun avaliable to rip the guts out of if thats what you want. Id never , almost never, rip a clip in any of my 2k+ dollar ARs.
I don't do mag dumps in any of my AR's either. Only in my .22lr AR.. and a 10-22 with a gat crank and 110 Rd. Drum lol !

RL26 is no good. Don't use it. My PSA for the day.
See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis

Out here in southern NM, fall temps can range from low 20s in the morning to 90+ degrees in the afternoons. I'd rather not take the chance.
I just load for the current temps in the area. I did my field maneuvers out there in NM during basic training. I can understand why you'd rather have temp insensitive powders. Mild temps the day we arrived with rain forecasted. Snow the next morning with the scorpions out that afternoon.

Temp sensitive and feelings sell all kinds of products it landed in powder about the same time. I load develope between 45-85 degrees and go with the load that is most accurate. I then load up 100 hunting rounds and shoot it until it's gone. May take 10-15 years. I shoot the same load at 100 degrees 500 feet and -10 at 8000 feet. I have been told I don't have feelings often.

Temp sensitive and feelings sell all kinds of products it landed in powder about the same time. I load develope between 45-85 degrees and go with the load that is most accurate. I then load up 100 hunting rounds and shoot it until it's gone. May take 10-15 years. I shoot the same load at 100 degrees 500 feet and -10 at 8000 feet. I have been told I don't have feelings often.
😉👍

Maybe "pet" loads should not be made in a season 30* cooler than the hunting season, and "maybe, just maybe" that pet load should not be at or above max when you make it during cool weather.
Develop a cold season hunting load on a cold early spring day when hunting is done.
Make that prairie dog load on one of those hot indian summer days in late Sep when the dog towns are all shot up.
Make that hog load in the dead of summer, and find a "node" a step down from the one you found at or over max.
Notice how I did not say anything bad about temp insensitive powders, start with those, but develop the load under conditions that you will use it. If you find one that works, great, if not try an old school powder.
If the weather caused you to have blown primers, I am betting that load was over max when you made it. If you NEED that extra 100FPS, you are shooting the wrong caliber.
How is that for a first post? lol