Are the Eld x bullets that bad

Eldx are ok. Eldm's are great.

Data from Hornady's own website documenting what a 147eldm from a puny 6.5 creedmoor is capable of. Ya definitely couldn't kill anything..lol
View attachment 488395
Here's the tiny 6mm arc with a 106gr eldm after going through steel....can't believe it ain't "blowed" up lol!
View attachment 488396
I'm going after my bull with the 162 gr eldm. Shoots .3 groups at 100 yards.

Nothing too crazy but exit on a whitetail doe I killed last year. Killed 2 bucks, 3 does, several hogs personally with it. Most dropped or went down in sight. Only 2 ran. One went 30 yards. One went 50 but crazy blood trail.

Attachments

• IMG_3242.png
    IMG_3242.png
    914 KB · Views: 69
With any bullet you need to understand it's benefits and limitations. IMO, the ELDx is better served for longer distance shots that will allow it to expand properly without fragmenting drastically. At shorter ranges and higher velocities, you risk the bullet fragmenting too quickly and not having sufficient penetration. On the other hand, a monolithic or bonded bullet will retain more weight at those shorter distances but not expand as well, relative to an ELDx, at longer distances. Pick a bullet that shoots well in your rifle and understand how that bullet will likely expand and penetrate at varying distances. At that point, you won't curse the bullet because it didn't perform as one would have ignorantly thought it should have. A lot of game have fallen to the ELDx and i think it's a great pill. However, you can't have your cake and eat it too regardless of the bullet you choose.

Everything I ever hit with an eld-x bullet was dead in its tracks. But to be honest I have had issue with exits. Some don't mind and think all the energy of the bullet was put into the animal some think exit is needed for tracking. But again like I said everything has died without the need of tracking.

I shot an elk at 310 yards with a 300 win mag using 200g eldx without a pass through. First shot was high likely a spin shot that dropped him in his tracks. I put a few more into him just because he was trying to get up…they likely were unnecessary but the night prior the guide told us to keep shooting until the elk stops moving. I also shot a whitetail buck at 340ish yards in the neck without an exit but it went right down and didn't move an inch. Also shot a buck at about 120 yards with an 6.5 creedmoor 143g eldx, again no exit but yet dead on impact. Those are just a few examples. I continue shooting these bullets.

Shot one Elk with a 200gr ELD-X at 200 yds. It did not take a step. Shot 2 pronghorns with 143 gr ELD-X last year. Both lung shots. Both fell over sideways right there. Did not run at all. I don't think these are bullets you want to try to break shoulders with. The target below is 5 shots with my 200 gr ELDX 300 WM load at 100 yds.
I'm trying to shrink my 300WM group right now, did you have to do a seating depth test to get it that nice??

Thanks!

After 10 pages have you got your answer?
I read all 10 and haven't a clue.

Most people like them, a few don't .
Some people could win $100,000,000 lottery, and would be so happy...a few would complain that it was not $500,000,000.

Some people need to practice shooting a lot more accurately, instead of blaming the ammunition.

Some should buy a larger rifle, for long shots, at bigger game like elk.
And apparently some people disapprove of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but no reason was given.

Now maybe everyone can just be happy, shoot what they like, not slam others for their choices, and practice practice practice.
Me, well I am not planning to hunt alone, and the people who I go with have more experience, and some more firepower. So if I don't put my target down within 3 seconds, they can back me up with a shot. With exactly 1 kill under my belt, and the shot made with a sites only 30-30 while sitting on my horse, I wasn't sure how it was going to go. The deer was facing me, so i took a head shot between his eyes. It was comforting to know that 10 feet away was a guy with a 338 who is an amazing shot, who had it if the deer didn't drop. But he never had to fire, the deer stood for a second, and was down. In that second it took a half stumbling step, not even a real step, using relatively cheap Federal ammo. Lesson for me, be confident, and never fear a head shot.

Most people like them, a few don't .
Some people could win $100,000,000 lottery, and would be so happy...a few would complain that it was not $500,000,000.

Some people need to practice shooting a lot more accurately, instead of blaming the ammunition.

Some should buy a larger rifle, for long shots, at bigger game like elk.
And apparently some people disapprove of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but no reason was given.

Now maybe everyone can just be happy, shoot what they like, not slam others for their choices, and practice practice practice.
Me, well I am not planning to hunt alone, and the people who I go with have more experience, and some more firepower. So if I don't put my target down within 3 seconds, they can back me up with a shot. With exactly 1 kill under my belt, and the shot made with a sites only 30-30 while sitting on my horse, I wasn't sure how it was going to go. The deer was facing me, so i took a head shot between his eyes. It was comforting to know that 10 feet away was a guy with a 338 who is an amazing shot, who had it if the deer didn't drop. But he never had to fire, the deer stood for a second, and was down. In that second it took a half stumbling step, not even a real step, using relatively cheap Federal ammo. Lesson for me, be confident, and never fear a head shot.
When talking bullets you will find that there will always be someone with a poor experience with every bullet ever made.
Amazingly hunters were killing large critters with cheap ammo like that federal you mentioned along with Remington cor lokt and Winchester power points before I was born although velocities were usually slower. I have used all of these and more cup and core and never had a problem.
I use different bullets depending on variables such as game, velocity and estimated range.
I don't slam anyone for using a bullet even if it's one that I prefer not to use. After all it's still a somewhat free country.

Like I've said, they're cup and core bullets, expect cup and core performance.

This isn't rocket science. They are interlocks with a plastic tip. They aren't all copper, or bonded.

Not saying that's good or bad, just that's what they are.
THIS ^^^
ELD-X's, are awesome for, "Boiler Room" shots !
IF, You want to Blast thru, Shoulder Blades, I've used,.. BERGER HVLD- Hunting, Elites or, Classic Hunters or, Nosler,.. AccuBonds and, Partitions.
My grandson dropped 3 Mule Deer with, 143 gr. ELD-X s and got full Penetration ( Boiler Room's ) except the one at, 468 yds ( Just under Hide ) all died within 20 yds of, Impact, aka,.. DRT !
PICK your Bullet AND,.. your "Shot" Placement, accordingly, as there is, NO "Perfect, do all",.. Bullet ( Tho some,.. get,.. "Close" )

Last edited:
Well, I think that in some circumstances, bullets perform as advertised but in a lot of cases, all bets are off. I've had good luck with the 143ELDX but in many cases, I've had stuff not perform as advertised. Pictured below is the exit hole on a crop damage doe. Looks like good performance to me. But sometimes I get weird results. Case in point is the 115 Berger Hybrid out of my .25-06. Moving about 3075 and a 200 yard shot. Perfect shot. No blood trail. We recovered the buck but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I went back to the 117 Sierra. I had another issue with my .243 and a 95 grain Ballistic Tip at 200 yards. Punched a pencil hole through the deer. Again, no blood trail and found the animal after about 45 minutes. I was complaining about this to a buddy of mine and he told me to back my charge off 1.5 grains and see what happens. Made a world of difference. Anyway, my take away it that it's just unpredictable and there are too many variables. Certainly not advocating doing something like using a V-Max on medium sized game but half the time it seems like all bets are off. Small sample sizes don't help either. Place you shots.

IMG_8222.jpeg
IMG_8222.jpeg

Ive been using 200gr eldx in my heavily modified 300wm savage 10t-sr for three years now. It took a while to find the sweet load since i ignored bullet jump and just fit them to my clip.
I bump the shell back 0.005, seat them them to they fit in the clip, push them with 74.5gr of h1000 or 72gr of 7828 and smack steel at 900 yards all day.
I have never not a had a exit would. Usually more than one.
I'm trying to shrink my 300WM group right now, did you have to do a seating depth test to get it that nice??

Thanks!

Ive been using 200gr eldx in my heavily modified 300wm savage 10t-sr for three years now. It took a while to find the sweet load since i ignored bullet jump and just fit them to my clip.
I bump the shell back 0.005, seat them them to they fit in the clip, push them with 74.5gr of h1000 or 72gr of 7828 and smack steel at 900 yards all day.
I have never not a had a exit would. Usually more than one.
Looks like 180 Barnes TTSX is the bullet for me, in the 24" Tikka Veil. 76gr of N565 seated to max magazine length.

Attachments

• E9A890CF-078E-43B7-BCB4-9898E1323A53.jpeg
    E9A890CF-078E-43B7-BCB4-9898E1323A53.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 34
I bought my 6.5 CM to save the barrel in my 28 Nosler to hunt with. I can practice all I want with the CM and it loves the 143 gr ELDX. I was going out to shoot a couple of doe, so I grabbed the CM knowing some of the holes the Nosler had produced in the past, thinking the smaller rifle would be good for meat. I was blown away by what it did to deer. These are all does at less than 250 yards, but it's just bang flop, again and again and again. Never had a blood trail to follow, not a single time. Certainly haven't shot that many, but come doe days here in Oklahoma, the 28 stays in the safe, and the ELD-X's are put to work.