Are the Eld x bullets that bad

5 elk out to 700yrds with the 212s. All killed with 30-28 nosler and 300win mag.

1 antelope @ 740 with 6.5mm 143s

3 blacktail out 600yrd with 6.5-143gr and 1 with a 7mm 162gr before comifornia outlawed lead.

A bunch of wild pigs with 143s and 162s

some mine and some I was first hand witness to. All animals had pass through high shoulder shots at all ranges. No issues for my group of ELDX shooters. Haters gonna hate though.

Almost forgot a few elk with the 7mm 175s out of our 284win.
Haha, that 284 doesn't have enough poop to barely push a 175gr out the muzzle. What the heck were you thinking? 🤣🤣🤪 I hope you have it in a long enough action where you can get full performance out of it. I do like the round.

It was over in about 30-40 seconds after second shot.
I guess I'm a little confused. Your buddy shot a mature elk at 200 yards, and the elk took two rounds in the chest. After being hit, the elk didn't run away, wandered in a circle for 30 seconds, fell down and died. That sounds like a pretty successful harvest, and the bullet performed pretty well.

So are the 162 grain Eld x bullets that bad? Sure see slot of negative comments about them.

After many pages of interesting conversation ……perhaps we need a clear definition of….."THAT"!

Some believe that they are "that" bad…..while others believe that they are "that" good! We can't have both 🙀 …..or can we? 🤔😂 memtb

Might have been said previously, but I did not wade through all replies, but many bullets "failures" are not the fault of the bullet, but of the shooter with shot placement or just taking a bad shot, but then it is easy to blame the bullet. I feel all modern bullets will do the job if put in the right place, but some do it a little better.

Might have been said previously, but I did not wade through all replies, but many bullets "failures" are not the fault of the bullet, but of the shooter with shot placement or just taking a bad shot, but then it is easy to blame the bullet. I feel all modern bullets will do the job if put in the right place, but some do it a little better.

And…..sometimes it's the wrong tool for the job task! I don't recommend using an 8# sledge hammer for breaking eggs for an "over easy"……maybe for an omelet! 😂 memtb

Well, like I said, only one small piece of jacket out of the two bullets made it to the off side ribs. Longs were toast but had he hit shoulder bone they would have never made it to the lungs. Pretty poor performance in my opinion.

I only have a small sample but I had geat success with a 212 ELD-X out of 300 WM dropped a small bull without a step at 300 yards with a frontal shot. I don't have any pictures of the bullet it was a low priority in the dark quartering it to get it out of there. But I wouldn't hesitate to continue using it.
212 ELDX are exactly one of my standard choices in 300wm (but 1:9 aftermarket barrel twist, the original 1:11 couldn't stabilize it), very accurate at long distances, maybe only Berger 210 VLDH and EOL 245 are more accurate, but I'm yet to try the bergers on live animals, they are designed for very different terminal ballistic/behavior.
I had very good hunting results with ELDX in other calibers: 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, and 308W. However, shot placement makes all the difference for almost any bullet with a decent construction.

All I've shot are deer and a couple of coyotes with the factory precision hunter load from a 280 AI. I've shot stuff from 30 yards to 350. Nothing really long but everything was dead in short order with mostly passthroughs. I've taken shoulder shots and ribs. My gun shoots the load good and it's worked up until now and is going to Colorado for elk this fall.

Eldx are ok. Eldm's are great.

Data from Hornady's own website documenting what a 147eldm from a puny 6.5 creedmoor is capable of. Ya definitely couldn't kill anything..lol
Screenshot_20230823-180302_Chrome.jpg

Here's the tiny 6mm arc with a 106gr eldm after going through steel....can't believe it ain't "blowed" up lol!
Screenshot_20230823-180926_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: