Are the .338s becoming pointless?

I appreciate this forum because of the information and advice offered. The preceding posts validate that.
I consider the OP as a curiosity best answered by getting one. You'll probably really like the caliber. Whether you're capable or not is another story.
If you're looking to 375, 408, or 416 for long range guns, sell a kidney. Any of those three are built off cartridges where the action alone is ~$2K.

I remember asking the same questions about 338LM back in 2010, before I contracted the wildcat fever.
In short answer, it can be pointless, if you load it with 225 RN or Woodleigh solids.
IIRC, 338LM was being pushed as the ideal long range cartridge. Noise was just starting about the 6.5 Creedmoor.
I drank the Koolaid and bought a 338 LM. It delivers on it's promise. In hunting rifle carry weight (< 8 lbs ), I would not use one for ELR hunting for shots beyond 600 yards. Because of the recoil, for longer shots, you need heavier.
I have wildcats in 338 (Edge), 7mm and 6.5. All serve an intended purpose for different ranges.
There is no "catch-all" cartridge, but I would say plenty of people make the 6.5 Swede, 7mm-08, 7 Rem Mag and 30-06 look like they will do 90% or better of most any hunter's needs.
The sad thing is, there are not enough places where one can go out and shoot 1,000 yards for practice.

With the rain coming down in buckets, sideways, at 30mph. Been caught in that in the mountains above Reedsport. People in Oregon look at you funny when you wear an Aussie cowboy oil coat - maybe it's a side effect of the Matrix movie series. BUT, wearing one, in said storms, you will be warm and dry - better than any foul weather gear I've ever had.
What does RBH stand for?
Quality, high quality, exceptional quality custom rifle makers.

Personally, I don't see any cartridge as "pointless", but I do understand your question.

As someone who enjoys a challenge, I have taken game with most every modern and primitive weapon including spear. While I enjoy using varied calibers and cartridges at ranges many think not viable, I also have and still use large calibers for their proper purpose.

Just like modern rifles have not made muzzle loaders and bows extinct, I do not see the 338's ever becoming pointless.

Last edited:
I'd answer No to your question, and what a great discussion so far!
338's have a long history and a secure future. Here's some history on the .338:
1888-1905, the 8mm to 9mm Mauser era
1902, the .33 Winchester Round for lever action rifles
1908, the .333 Jeffrey. A dangerous game round of which Pondoro said "Time and again have I driven it the length of an animal's body, and cut the perfectly mushroomed bullet out of his hindquarters." The .333 Jeffrey was successfully used in WWI to counter German snipers. The .333 could penetrate the enemy sniper's steel plate like "slicing through butter."
1912, the new .375 H&H came out and became more popular than the .333 Jeffrey
1958, the .338 win mag is introduced and sales took off
1962, the .340 Weatherby magnum comes out
1983-1989, the .338 Lapua Magnum is created in response to the military's need
1998, the .338-06 A-Square (SAAMI) = a long action .338 with less recoil than the .338 win mag
1998, the .338-378 Weatherby
2001, the .338 RUM and the .338 Edge
2006, the .338 Federal and in 2008, the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum = short action .338's with less recoil
2008, the .338 Norma Magnum comes out following the US Army's request for a .338 PSR
2010, the .338 Marlin Express lever action arrives
2016, the 33 Nosler Is added to the .338 world.

.338's fill the niche between .300 mags and .375 CheyTacs. It's a caliber that is very popular with many shooters. I certainly recall the significant revived interest in .338's when long range interest in the .338 Lapua Magnum and the .338 Edge took off.

Last edited:
.338 will always be pointless to those that despise recoil.

That is nonsense..

3 of my 4 sons shot a 300bwin mag AND 338 win mag

And

Hit a life-size steel buffalo at 1000 yards

And

A 18" 3 shot group in 1 hour was a prerequisite to get their "first" 06!!!

Rifle stock design, buttpad muzzlebreak

Of course a 250 grn @ 3000fps in a 8# rifle is a pussycat (NOT)

210s in a 12# RIFLE WITH THE RIGHT BUTTPAD AND MUZZLEBRAKE IS COMFORTABLE FOR MY 70# 10 YR OLD DAUGHTER

Lol it was and is pricey!!!

How ever I have only bought 3 sets since age 10, 38 years ago!!!

Set many many many chokers in the rain with whites corks, wool socks, cutoff jean shorts, tank top, helly hansen set and black plastic cowboy hardhat!!! I was a little cocky as a teenager!!!

A Henry Ford quote!

bdyal: I with you on this but there will always be those that cannot accept the 338 from "perceived" recoil even with a 12# rifle and muzzle brake. Most will not carry a rifle that heavy but I do and actually prefer the weight. Heck, I even like to shoot 1 1/4 oz slugs that I reload off bench just for fun of it. They step out at 1475 fps and the recoil from them makes the 338 "pleasant" 😂. As far as I am concerned big bore with big bullets will always have a place, you just cannot replicate the impact of a big heavy bullet at velocity. What ever you hit with them knows it got hit!

338's look kinda pointy to me !

Now lets see a 7mm bullet with a 1.01 g1 bc, please .....

8059F57F-E7F6-4CB4-9807-B2C31862ABAD.jpeg

AWESOME

HOWEVER

NOT PRACTICAL FOR 90% OF ELK HUNTING

BUT STILL AWESOME
Yes I agree. The point is why do people think they need a 300 WM, 338, or a 375 to kill elk or moose at say 400 yards or less when a 7 Mag can do it at 1400 yards. I thank thats what Gunwerks was proving. A 243 win with a 105 grain Berger bullet at 400 yards has more energy than that 7 Mag does at 1400 yards. So even a 243 is a great caliber for elk in most cases. Oh no LoL!!!

I really like this thread because it made me feel better. I just got into this LR stuff. A month ago I bought a Savage 112 Lapua 338 Mag and joined this forum. The OP posed a question that made me doubt the wisdom of that purchase. But all the rest helped me feel good about the expenditure. Dang, just realised there is no spell checker on this forum so you will have to put up with my atrocious spelling.

would never want to cause any person to regret or question the wisdom of purchasing a rifle, ANY RIFLE, great to hear you're enjoying the forum and have acquired a possession that you enjoy .possessions can sometimes be more burden than blessing, never found that to be the case with firearms except that in this season of life they just remind me of the fact that I never get to go shooting anymore - but that's just temporary during a super intense chapter of my life I'm in the middle of -working on a masters degree, pastoring a small town baptist church, oldest just turned 3, middle turns two in october, we just had twins in June (that was entirely new territory, feel like my brain is broken some days but also seeing that indeed we don't know what we're capable of until life reveals it for us.
No gripe with the .338s, and no experience. I too am loving reading through this unexpectedly huge thread. Wanted to see what everyone who uses them finds endearing over other calibers and have gotten a ton of insight on here.
Perhaps my biggest new bit of knowledge gained is what some are referring to as the easy tuneability of this bore diameter. Hadn't heard much about that before. Good to know.
Enjoy your rifle!
Good call on going the Savage route, especially if you're just getting into this. Can't go wrong. I have a savage 111 long range hunter in .300 win mag that I hope to get to know better in the years ahead and plan to take elk hunting this year. All the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts