Are powders hygroscopic?

JE, Is that old H4831 in a metal can with a red and yellow label?

Yes, they were the old paper cans and the metal cans depending on the powder, but when I bought it and found how good it was I separated it into 2 pound plastic lab sample Containers because I had some of the old Alcan paper cans fail and start rusting the lids. Some H 4831 came in steel cans and other powders came in the paper cans. and nether one held up very well because the way we stored them back then. (Now we know better)

These containers I found were for holding chemical samples, so I figured that they would be better than the old paper or steel cans. and looks like I was right (Or just lucky) I have also had to throw out IMR steel cans because they also failed. Now when I buy powder in the paper or metal cans, I switch them to empty plastic powder cans that I save for just such an occasion. "Note I also correctly write on the container the brand and burn rate/Type of the powder to prevent using the wrong powder at a later date".

I don't like switching containers but if done correctly and re sealed it has worked very well so far. Beside being good powder, the Hodgdon containers are very good for powder storage. fortunately, most/many of the newer powders are sold In good plastic containers now.

J E CUSTOM

Plastic- Any HDPE marked bottle in black should be ok to use. HDPE is on the bottom of some Hodgdon smokeless bottles i have. Black is to keep the sun off the powder.

Beats a rusting metal can.
20200916_210311.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer to buy powder in 8lb bottles. I'll use a 1lb bottle and fill it from the 8 pounder to keep the larger jug sealed as much as I can. Keeping it closed tightly and stored in the basement cabinet out of sunlight has kept some of my powder good for more than 35 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.