Some more powders that are heat stable

Doublez,
Your post was reason enough for me to go back and review my loading/shooting notes on the limited experience i had with 8133. My extremely small sample of data appears to support your notion about 8133 gradually building pressure. And as it turns out, it was not that far behind Retumbo in velocity. It appears that I can get similar velocity to Retumbo by using 2 more grains of 8133. In other words in 70 grs Retumbo gets me 2900 FPS, 72 grs of 8133 gets me there too. All i did was a powder ladder with it in my 7mm RM with the 180 ELD looking for the top end. I think I ran out of room in the case for more powder before I hit pressure. If my gun had a longer throat it may be ideal. I am now thinking i need to revisit it, shoot some groups, and see what I come up with. Thanks for the input
My testing was in cartridges that have charges from 97 to 130 grains. 8133 is very predictable and accurate, just didn't have the velocity that Retumbo or N570 had. That being said however, 8133 is indeed a very good solution for the recent inventory shortcomings regarding Retumbo or N570.

Birdie, will let you know tomorrow if the 4166 is accurate in a friend's .308 and 168 gr Berger Classic Hunter. Going out to the desert in the morning to test .308 loads with 4166 and Varget.

On our trip to the desert this morning the Remington in .308 was surprisingly a bit more accurate with the Enduron 4166 over the Varget. A dry patch after each of six loads (3 of each powder) showed a surprising amount of powder fouling, however the barrel was quite easy to clean after we finished shooting. Next trip we're taking the two best loads and the crony.

I bought some 4955 to use in 257 Roberts and 270 win but haven't got good enough results to use it. Need to experiment more. Accuracy want as good compared to other powders I was using.

I've got a lb of 8133 I cracked into trying to find a substitute for Retumbo. I couldn't get enough in my 7mm RM case to make it worth it, got about the same velocity as H4831sc with 180 ELD-M but with about 7-10 grs more powder. I think 8133 needs a bigger case. Might be good in more overbore cartridges like 6.5-300 Wby. I might see how much I can stuff in my 300 Wby cases if I ever find the time to play with it.
I tried IMR8133 in my 300 RUM with Berger 185 and 190 , 210 VLD's, Hornady 200, 208 and 212 ELDX .Will try Berger 215. It shot pretty good groups but accuracy and velocity a little better with Retumbo . RL33 not so good. H1000 good with 180 gr.. Have RL26 and N570 to try and N565/N560. Also IMR7977. Had a Bartlien 5R 28 in. Barrel put on. Starting all over.

Last edited:
I've got a lb of 8133 I cracked into trying to find a substitute for Retumbo. I couldn't get enough in my 7mm RM case to make it worth it, got about the same velocity as H4831sc with 180 ELD-M but with about 7-10 grs more powder. I think 8133 needs a bigger case. Might be good in more overbore cartridges like 6.5-300 Wby. I might see how much I can stuff in my 300 Wby cases if I ever find the time to play with it.
I'm going to try IMR 7977, N565 and N560 I'm my Rem 7 mag. Let you know after I do.

I was surprised to not see any of the enduron powders on any reloading book.

I'm looking to try 4166 on my 7mm-08 with the 160gr and 162gr bullets, it seems to require less powder therefore I can hopefully seat the bullets a little deeper and they can fit on the magazine.

loving it in my .300 win mag with 225 eld m bullets. Probably could get faster FPS with others but it's no slouch either and stupid accurate in the combo I've worked up. It is a very compressed load tho and about 100 FPS slower than what I'm reading about some getting

I just tried 7977 in 300 WM with 168 Amax and 212 ELDX. Everything I tried printed 2.5" or greater. Same bullets with AA4350 shooting bug holes. RL23 shooting just outside MOA.

7977 does not have same burn rate as H1000. It's faster. I had to drop two grains under H1000 listed data due to sticky bolt syndrome.

I found with 4955 everything was going great and then all of a sudden would go from no pressure signs to a sticky bolt lift and a very rough looking primer, shiny ejector mark, etc. It didn't seem to indicate that I was approaching the line until I crossed it. Just something to think about.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.