Temp stable powders

kupper

I would add one more powder to the list and that is Ramshot Magnum.

There are tests on Barnes website that show it and H1000 to be very insensitive to temperature changes. I knew about H1000 being an "Extreme" powder and all so I didn't doubt that but I didn't believe the Magnum. So I froze some and tested it myself. I had a buddy measuring the ammo as it came out of the icebox with a laser thermometer and feeding it to me one round at a time. It measured 27 degrees F and chronographed dead on for velocity and grouped under 1 inch at 200 yards, just like it does when it is 70 degrees out - or any other temperature I've shot in. I didn't expect that it would actually work because the RL-25 I had been using was very unstable. Too bad to because it is a good powder otherwise. This test was in a custom 338 RUM with Federal 215 primers, 101.2 grains of Magnum behind 210 gr TTSXs running 3,190 fps.

Having said all that, even the Extreme powders will vary some due to temperature but they are pretty good most of the time. I use them (and Magnum) unless I have a pretty good reason not to.:)

Well, I have gotten some H1000 to try in my 7mmRM, so I'm good there. I was just looking at my loads for my other rifles (220 Swift, 243 Win, 30-06) which all really, really like Win 760. I was wondering how temperature stable, or instable Win 760 is? Has anyone here run any tests with it or heard anything about it? Bummer about the Reloader powders as my 243 really likes Reloader 22 as well.

I have no solid data for you on Win760, but I have seen a significant point-of-impact change in cold weather shooting 300WSM. I pretty much use temperature stable powders in any of my precision rigs anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.