Some more powders that are heat stable

Several of the Enduron powders match burn rate of popular and hard to find Hodgdon powders. The exception is the IMR 4166 which is faster than Varget.

Looks like the answer to all our prayers....who's used them what's the word on the street?
According to Hogdon reloading site looks like 40-45 gr 4166 on 308 win with 168 gr, kinda in line with Varget

Last edited:
Looks like the answer to all our prayers....who's used them what's the word on the street?
According to Hogdon reloading site looks like 40-45 gr 4166 on 308 win with 168 gr, kinda in line with Varget

Birdie, will let you know tomorrow if the 4166 is accurate in a friend's .308 and 168 gr Berger Classic Hunter. Going out to the desert in the morning to test .308 loads with 4166 and Varget.

I bought some IMR 7977 right after it came out, for a 338 RUM I had. Rifle would not shoot anything so I sold it. Using the 7977 in my 270 now. Velocity is a little lower but the accuracy is very respectable with 140-150 gr. bullets. I like it.

Doing some load development on a new 6.5 CM, and had found a couple of sub .500 moa recipes, with H4350. Then I can't find any more H 4350. I did some work ups with IMR 4451 and IMR 4350. I got a few recipes of IMR 4451 in the .500-700 ranges, but nothing below that. I was able to get a load with IMR 4350 below .350, on two ranges, on different days, and about 50 degrees apart. I've tried the IMR 4451 a few times, and the accuracy in two of my rifles has been good, but not great.

On 6.5 CM, with no H4350 to be found, I bought some Win StaBall and going to give it a go. While not H4350, it seems to be a viable option.

I've got a lb of 8133 I cracked into trying to find a substitute for Retumbo. I couldn't get enough in my 7mm RM case to make it worth it, got about the same velocity as H4831sc with 180 ELD-M but with about 7-10 grs more powder. I think 8133 needs a bigger case. Might be good in more overbore cartridges like 6.5-300 Wby. I might see how much I can stuff in my 300 Wby cases if I ever find the time to play with it.

8133 has had very good results in overbore calibers. The downfall is velocity. If your insistent on shooting your bullets as fast as humanly possible, this powder isn't for you. Excellent replacement for Retumbo or N570 but will not produce the same velocities. In some ways it's stability makes it better than Retumbo. You can go critical with Retumbo in one grain where 8133 seems to gradually show pressure as you increase your charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.