Ar-15 ?

BrentM

Going to build a rifle for my mother and looking for some advice. Not looking for a LR hunting rig, more sporting and defense. Thinking along the lines of 16" carbine and looked at several options, which is a bit overwhelming. DPMS and Adams both seem to offer reasonable priced uppers. I was thinking 500 to 800 for an upper is reasonable but not sure. I looked at midway and see a DPMS 3 gun ready upper that has a miculek break, SS 1:9, and m4 ramps.

Any advice or thoughts for this build?

DPMS AR-15 3G2 A3 Upper Receiver Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 16 Barrel=

Not too bad of a set up. I think I can get better or as good of components for less money and build it the way I want it. That rifle with a good trigger is 1550.00 and will have to be shipped to an FFL which also charges. So 1600.00 easily in that package, which to me is quite a bit higher than 1000.00.

pick up a stag with a 1-8 or 1-7 twist. They are decent guns that shoot well for well under a grand and have a lifetime unconditional warrantee. even if you shoot out the barrel they will replace it. ive got a 2t stag that runs a bit over a grand and its my favorite ar.

Not too bad of a set up. I think I can get better or as good of components for less money and build it the way I want it. That rifle with a good trigger is 1550.00 and will have to be shipped to an FFL which also charges. So 1600.00 easily in that package, which to me is quite a bit higher than 1000.00.

I thought that too...I'm over $750 already with my current build and it's still missing the bolt, barrel, charging handle, handguard, optics, sights, etc...

My main go-to AR is my LWRC M6A1 because there is no other hand-built AR that is more reliable (short-stroke self-regulating gas piston operation)...But that's WAY out of your mentioned price point.

Yeah. I can get an Adams piston for around 800. DPMS mid level for 700-800. Either SS or chrome lined, or melonite/nitride..whatever it is they advertise. m4 ramps, 1/7 or 8. This is 16" barrel configuration.

Upper 800
Lower parts kit 40
Trigger 200
Magpul grip 30
Magpul butt 70
Buffer Tube 70
magpul forearm grip 30

so far that is 1240. If I get the right upper it comes with decent flip ups. I can go 300 on a lower end red dot or halo. So 1550ish with sight. I can certainly go much lower or much higher in pricepoint or go down the street and buy a miltac. UGH.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.