6.5grendel ???ar-15

qkshot

A few months ago i was reading a shotgun news that a freind brought over and i seen a article about a new wildcat for the ar-15 rifle called the 6.5 grendel guess it is a 6.5ppc improved.

Anyways i have interest in this since i have an ar-15 just kinda sittin on the shelf does anyone here have any experiance with this wildcat in the ar good or bad or just a few opinions. maybe a gunsmith that builds uppers

sounds like a pretty good lrange round something about a smk bullet or lapua bullet going thru 4 inches of pine at 900 yards too got that information from doing a serch @yahoo and grabbing 6.5 grendel fansite

sounds like a hell of a round for the ar
good accurate cartridge matted with accurate rifle
magic 6.5 bullet
bench rest cart
high bc bullets
little slow on the velocity though but still a contender for a 1000 yard gun

whats your thoughts??

If it is a 6.5 PPC then it would be a nightmare to get to feed in an AR. If you really want 6.5 performance in an AR then build a 260 on an AR 10. An AR 15 is pretty limited to 17, 223, 222, 7.62x39, etc.
PPC cases are very rarely mag fed and Ackley Improved cases don't work real well in ARs.

the military is looking into changing over their m16 to use a similar round using a ppc case and a .270 bullet. why they went with a 270 over the 6.5 is anyone's guess but if i were you i would wait and see what happens with that first. it's called the 6.8 rem.

I work very close with the military and they are not changing to the 6.8. It is a nasty rumor and started several ****ing matches on other forums, which is not my intent here. But this rumor has cost several high up people their jobs at Remington and other places.

I thought that you all might be interested in some quick reading:

"In May 2003, the first 6.5 Grendel prototype rifle was unveiled to the world during an event at the Blackwater training center. The rifle and cartridge delivered outstanding accuracy with total reliability. Feedback was gathered from a number of people permitted to shoot the prototype rifle.

As most readers can appreciate, a custom built rifle is not a production rifle. So a rigorous period of testing and refinement began to advance the project into production. One of the key refinements came as a result of Lapua and their team of engineers joining the project and presenting improvements in the case design intended to optimize performance for 107-130 grain 6.5mm bullets and use in semi-automatic and automatic platforms such as the AR15/M16. As time progressed, the necessary production test runs of rifles and ammunition continued to ensure that the production products are as good or better then the custom built prototypes. Months of testing and thousands of rounds of ammunition later, the 6.5 Grendel is reality and ready for the world.

The 6.5 Grendel is an evolution of the 6.5mm PPC optimized to seat 107- to 130-grain match bullets at an overall loaded cartridge length of 2.255 inches. Case length was kept to 39mm or 1.505 inches as in the original PPC. Studies found that using a slightly longer case would lead to seating bullets deep in the case and would at the very minimum limit the bullets usable to only a few offerings. The case body is perfect in length to stabilize the cartridge in the magazine and prevent tipping without having to resort to special and normally jam-prone followers. In addition, the case diameter is the maximum dimensions that allow a double column feed." http://www.65grendel.com/art001devnotes.htm
http://www.65grendel.com/
http://www.competitionshootingsports.com/catalogue/category33/product40
http://www.competitionshootingsports.com/

"The 6.5 Grendel is available for sale right now with rifles, uppers, magazine, ammo, brass and reloading dies beginning to ship in early April." http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2004/03/65mm_grendel_ak.html

That will get you started. I can post more if you'd like.

Regards.

The 6.5 Grendel is best described as an improved version of the 6.5 PPC. The 6.5 PPC was created by Dr. Lou Palmisano (Dr. PPC) in the early 1980's as an expansion of the cartridge family created by Palmisano and Ferris Pindell in the mid-1970's. In 1998, I began working with the cartridge and succesfully built an AR15 in 6.5 PPC. Alexander Arms and I began working together in 2002 and the result of the effort is the 6.5 Grendel.

My original 6.5 PPC endeavor used off the shelf .223 and 7.62x39 parts and this required individual tuning of magazines for proper functioning. As the project progressed, key components such as barrel extensions, bolts and magazines were engineered to take the cartridge from a one off custom machine to a reliable production offering for anyone. The 6.5 Grendel is complete solution and rifles, uppers, magazines, ammo, brass and reloading dies exist and are available for order right now. Bullet choices include a wide range of offerings from 90-130s grain from Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Swift, Barnes, Nosler, Lapua and Norma.

While, the 6.5 Grendel does not bear the PPC name, Dr. Lou Palmisano and Ferris Pindell both have come out and given their full support to the project. In fact. Dr. Palmisano was at the SHOT show in Feb 04 to visably show his support for the 6.5 Grendel.

The 6.8 Rem SPC is an entirely different cartridge that is based on the .30 Remington case and has no relationship whatsoever to the PPC family of cartridges.

Arne,

Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to post straight from the source.

I've read most of the stuff written that is available on the web but I'm always looking for more information about wildcats. The 6.5 Grendel is interesting and I think just needs more folks shooting it.

Thanks again for your time!

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.