Ar - 15

Jayhawk

Looking at my first AR , been looking at RockRivers varmint platforms. Can't decide between 20" or 24" heavy barrel. Gun will be used for plinking and varminting and maybe medium range targets. Would also like to shoot heavier bullets in it maybe 69 - 80 grains. Any suggestions?

I bought a DPMS 24" heavy barrel upper and ended up reselling it before I ever shot it. It was horribly muzzle heavy and unbalanced and extremely heavy. I would think that the 20" would be much better balanced and a more reasonable weight without losing too much velocity.

I shoot a DPMS sweet 16 out to 500 yards easily. Shoots everything except wolf ammo under 1". I'd like to find a DPMS 24" upper to reach out even farther. The DPMS bull barrel rifles are good reliable guns that shoot very, very well.

I was advised by my local AR15 dealer and gunsmith who specializes in AR's to stay away from the 24" heavy barrels as they tend to crack uppers. Again, no first hand experience but a lot of respect for the source.

I bought the RR varmint EOP in a 20" heavy barrel and couldn't be happier. It shoots 69 grain SMKs at 1/2 moa all day long. The 69s are pure murder on coyotes as well.

Thanks to all... kinda excited about the new rifle. Just need to decide on the upper. How long can a person load these heavier bullets and still keep them in the magazine and what speeds are you guys getting with the heavier bullets?

I have a DPMS 20 '' heavy fluted barrel that shoots very well also.
Usually I can get 10 shots into a quarter ( 25 cents) at 100 yards.
Sometimes I can get 10 shots into a dime. Same distance.
As you might guess, I'm very happy with this rifle.

I bought the upper from an auction at GB. The lower came through a FFL friend of mine. Then I purchased (and installed) the trigger from the gun show.
Thought I would mention this because I saved a lot of money this way.

Might want to price it both ways. 'Building' the rifle was not hard to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Al

Book max is 2.260 OAL. I try to keep them at 2.255. Amazingly, these good ARs just don't seem to care much!

Thanks to all... kinda excited about the new rifle. Just need to decide on the upper. How long can a person load these heavier bullets and still keep them in the magazine and what speeds are you guys getting with the heavier bullets?

Agreeing with Sendero,

My AR's don't seem to care about COL. All of my 50 to 60 g. SGK loads are as short as 2.225 to max mag length. My 77 g. loads are loaded long and just touching lands for single shot feeding. All shoot very well at 200 to 300 yards.
I just wish my 600 yard shooting was better.

I bought a DPMS 24" heavy barrel upper and ended up reselling it before I ever shot it. It was horribly muzzle heavy and unbalanced and extremely heavy. I would think that the 20" would be much better balanced and a more reasonable weight without losing too much velocity.

DELETED by VH

Last edited:
i just want to take a moment to thank Sambo30006 and 7mm Sendero for adding their negative posts, based on their inexperienced opinion of the rifle in my "for sale thread". Neither one claims to have fired a single shot from the rifle I posted for sale.

Their input is what I consider the kind of negative posts that have little place on LRH. The rifle has been sold, but I feel that anyone who has negative comments about NIB firearms that are posted here by regular members should keep their comments to themselves. Particularly when they have no first hand knowledge of ther own.

Why would any memeber intentionally try to harpoon the sale of another member's firearm????????? Nice going guys!

First, I ahd not even read your "For Sale Post." My comment was in no way directed at your rifle, it was answering an inquiry in THIS POST.

If you read my post, I stated that I had no first hand experience but that it was from a trusted source. I DID NOT post that comment on your classified ad. Are you saying that posting ANY information for which you do not have first hand experience is wrong, for example loading manuals,other internet sites, Exbal, Quickload, etc? I did not attack the rifle you had for sale, I simply passed on information from a very viable source, to a question on THIS THREAD.

You are the one out of line here.

In fact, looking back, I answered a question on your classified post about cartridge OAL in that particular gun based on my experience with my gun in the 20" barrel version. I honestly didn't even remember that being your post. If I my intention was to bash the gun or screw up your sale, I could have done it then and there.

Again, your out of line.

i just want to take a moment to thank Sambo30006 and 7mm Sendero for adding their negative posts, based on their inexperienced opinion of the rifle in my "for sale thread". Neither one claims to have fired a single shot from the rifle I posted for sale.

Their input is what I consider the kind of negative posts that have little place on LRH. The rifle has been sold, but I feel that anyone who has negative comments about NIB firearms that are posted here by regular members should keep their comments to themselves. Particularly when they have no first hand knowledge of ther own.

Why would any memeber intentionally try to harpoon the sale of another member's firearm????????? Nice going guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.