AR 10 DPMS feeding issues

This is what the rifle is doing...View attachment 361355
Gregg C,
It took me a while to find this. But here is a link to one of the best detective processes on what I think is your problem with your gun. It's a bit long, but it's all there. Read ALL of it. Let me know what you find. Good luck.

Gregg C,
It took me a while to find this. But here is a link to one of the best detective processes on what I think is your problem with your gun. It's a bit long, but it's all there. Read ALL of it. Let me know what you find. Good luck.
Thanks Dude. There is A lot to process in there for a fng like me. Some thing I picked up on, tho, is I have been asked, what length is your gas system ? My answer was, rifle length. Now I realize, I don't know. How do I determine this ? I got a lot to learn.
I put 80 rds thru my Tinker Toy today. Generally speaking, I think we may have fixed it. I found some Federal NATO ammo in my stuff and started with that. It ran flawlessly. Not one hiccup in 60 rounds. The PPU NATO, however, not so much. One case, number 6 in the string, failed to eject completely, and jammed with no. 7, denting the side of that case. Didn't wreck it like has been occurring. And, I found that the PPU is pretty meek.nearly all of those cases hit the ground at about 1:30. Out of three boxes of the Federal ammo, only one case was that far north. On went back to 5:30, and the rest landed 2:30 to 4:00.

Thanks Dude. There is A lot to process in there for a fng like me. Some thing I picked up on, tho, is I have been asked, what length is your gas system ? My answer was, rifle length. Now I realize, I don't know. How do I determine this ? I got a lot to learn.
I put 80 rds thru my Tinker Toy today. Generally speaking, I think we may have fixed it. I found some Federal NATO ammo in my stuff and started with that. It ran flawlessly. Not one hiccup in 60 rounds. The PPU NATO, however, not so much. One case, number 6 in the string, failed to eject completely, and jammed with no. 7, denting the side of that case. Didn't wreck it like has been occurring. And, I found that the PPU is pretty meek.nearly all of those cases hit the ground at about 1:30. Out of three boxes of the Federal ammo, only one case was that far north. On went back to 5:30, and the rest landed 2:30 to 4:00.
Gas Tube lengths are:
  • Pistol-length: A pistol-length gas tube is 6.75 inches long. ...
  • Carbine-length: A carbine-length gas tube is 9.75 inches long. ...
  • Mid-length: A mid-length gas tube is 11.75 inches long. ...
  • Rifle-length: A rifle-length gas tube is approximately 15.125 inches long.
Take a look.

To be clear, the Federal ammo has jammed in the rifle also. But not today.
Gregg C
To be clear. Most rifle length gas tubes are:
(Lets not deal with DPMS Gen 2 here.) Armalite AR10 is 15.5 inch long.DPMS gen 1 is 15.125 inch long.Now I have bought both. I have found folks use Armalite bcg with dpms length gas tube. Not good. And the other way around. Measure the length of your gas tube to be absolutely sure which one you need. I have also found a brand new gas key on the bcg is loose. Not tightened properly or staked properly. The web has lots of pics on this subject and how to fix. Pretty easy to do. It happened to me. New gun 0 rounds through it, loose gas key. Fixed issue, and it worked great. Didnt i feel dumb. Gas leaks a real bitch to find. Try reading that message I sent you. It long, but full of good process to find your issue. Go slow and follow process. Get real familiar with proper nomenclature. It's required to stop misunderstanding. Good luck.

Gregg C
To be clear. Most rifle length gas tubes are:
(Lets not deal with DPMS Gen 2 here.) Armalite AR10 is 15.5 inch long.DPMS gen 1 is 15.125 inch long.Now I have bought both. I have found folks use Armalite bcg with dpms length gas tube. Not good. And the other way around. Measure the length of your gas tube to be absolutely sure which one you need. I have also found a brand new gas key on the bcg is loose. Not tightened properly or staked properly. The web has lots of pics on this subject and how to fix. Pretty easy to do. It happened to me. New gun 0 rounds through it, loose gas key. Fixed issue, and it worked great. Didnt i feel dumb. Gas leaks a real bitch to find. Try reading that message I sent you. It long, but full of good process to find your issue. Go slow and follow process. Get real familiar with proper nomenclature. It's required to stop misunderstanding. Good luck.
Again, Thanks. I read through that thread. Lots of good information. I'll take it slow, and research what I don't understand. I've already gained a wealth of information, here, and as they say, knowledge is power. Today, it shot well. Who's to say wether it's "fixed" or not.

Again, Thanks. I read through that thread. Lots of good information. I'll take it slow, and research what I don't understand. I've already gained a wealth of information, here, and as they say, knowledge is power. Today, it shot well. Who's to say wether it's "fixed" or not.
Some of these factory rounds can be a bit on the "low power" side. Be aware of that. Can be a real pain to test for when solving gas issues. Low cartridge pressure, low gas output. Gun wont cycle right. Been there, done that too. For my AR308 and home defense guns, I always try to setup my gun to use the crappiest factory ammo I can to ensure it will operate at all times. I setup my bolt gun a bit more picky. Report back when you can. I will followup when applicable. Stay safe and have fun.