DPMS double fire issues

turbines

I bought two DPMS genII LR308 rifles. one is a 24" heavy barrel and the other one is the Compact gen II hunter it has a 16" barrel.
Just after I bought them 1 year ago i wanted a better trigger with less pull weight.
I bought two Timney 667 triggers with 3lb pull weight.

Shortly after they were installed both rifles started to double fire. I couldn't use them unless they were single loaded.
Searching the net i saw where there were other shooters that had the same issue. Tried a couple of remedies that came from Timney. one was remove and make sure the triggers were dry and not to use any lube on them, the other was to check and make sure that the two screws that keep the drop in trigger secured were tight. nothing worked to make them stop double firing
Finally I contacted Timney and told them that i was having trouble and nothing seemed to stop the issue of double firing.
Even with only one round in the rifle it would still try to double fire. I know this because after the live round was discharged 50% of the time the bolt would close but when the last round is discharged the bolt should stay open.

I told Timney customer service that i thought this trigger was not up to the riggers of 308win cartridge. When I bought these triggers Timney advertised them as being compatible with the AR15 and the AR10. In fact now they do sell a trigger that is specifically for the AR10 platform.

Timney was very sincere in getting me satisfied with their product. They asked me to send them the two triggers so they could make it right. I got the two triggers back with upgrades with a heavier spring and heavier trigger. They are now the same trigger as the AR10 triggers that they sell now.

I thought the issue was finally fixed, i put the triggers in but after 10 or 11 rounds they started to double fire at the rate of 50% of the time.

Now this is where I eat some crow. I took the triggers out and put the mil surp triggers back in thinking surely it would stop but now with the mil surp triggers in place the rifles still double fire.

What in the high ho is doing this?

Could the buffer assembly be causing this? I have not done anything to the spring or weight yet. Could the buffer spring be collapsed does it need to be stretched? i don't know. On both rifles I have the A2 butt stocks that they came with and the springs have not been touched.

I have two new firing pins that i bought from dpms but i have not put those in yet the originals seem to be in good shape. those pins come as a field kit to be able to rebuild the bolt carrier group in the field or when the piston rings wear out or something gets lost.

One other point that i should make is my reloads. I use 40.0gr of IMR 4895, 155gr TMK's, Lake City brass CCI 200 primers. I don't think this load is stressing anything in the rifles.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts to fix this issue, all are welcome

I caused a couple of standard triggers to double fire. Early on I looked up videos on how to lighten a standard AR trigger. You polish and make the hammer catch smaller in width, you also polish the trigger catch edge on the trigger block. I was overly Zealous and basically ruined them. the fix is to buy a new hammer.

But there is also the shooter. I shot hundreds and hundred of rounds and never had a double tap. I hand it to my friend and 50% of the time he gets double taps. I watched what he was doing and he was not pulling the trigger and releasing his finger completely. He had just enough fat finger pressure on the trigger to cause it to fire and soon as the cycled. In a case like that training first and the idea of a heavier buffer tube weight might work because you are slowing down the cyclic rate.

Those are semi auto's not bolt guns you can't get away with all the trigger game playing that's fine with a bolt gun. Practice your trigger control and follow thru. On an AR squeeze the trigger and continue to squeeze it until the shot is complete and gun cycles and again comes to rest. Then and only then do you release the trigger. You can't get away with a lite uncommitted trigger pull with no follow thru like you can with a bolt gun. With the heavy mil spec trigger you could probably get away with poor trigger control with a light match grade trigger with very fast lock time not so much. Took me a while to retrain myself from bolt gun habits to drive an AR effectively the fact that those are heavier recoiling 308's is not helping.

Most of the time when I've seen double-firing it's because the shooter isn't holding onto the grip firm enough. Your hand needs to be firmly on the grip so that it follows the gun during recoil. Otherwise you can get into a "bump fire" sort of situation.

I'm still here fellas, reading all your posts. I went out yesterday and shot it 5 times everytime was a double fire. Every shot, I made a complete follow thru with the trigger. I am going to enlist my son early in the coming week to shoot it. He has the same consensus that i am not using the trigger properly, we will see.

Just wondering if you've made any progress on this issue. I've run into the same thing after installing an aftermarket trigger (Velocity 3#). I'm a rookie AR-owner and working on my trigger technique seemed to help; just bought some dies and (harder) "AR" primers, too.

I suspect that you are pulling the trigger slowly to brake the trigger for a accurate shot.
There are 3 surfaces to be concerned with the trigger, Hammer and Disconnect.
Your trigger is not catching on the disconnect when it is pulled.
I would take the upper off and put a old mag in a vise or use a block made to hold the lower in the mag well. Now cycle the hammer and pull the trigger and see if the disconnect is catching the trigger until you release the trigger. DO NOT let the hammer impact the frame. In this way you can figure what is going on.

ShtrRdy, I shot it (24" Gen II) a few days ago with the mil spec trigger installed. I focused on the follow thru on the trigger, with one more change and was to hold the forearm stock steady with my left hand instead of left hand on my squeeze bag. I did not get a double fire. Maybe that free buck of the muzzle was setting up the double fire. I hope!

I think buff spring is really heavy, and reads are cold. Max on that powder with that gr bullet is 47.5. What's your velocity, and are you crimping them.