Anyone using IBI carbon wrapped barrels

Roo78

Hi community,

Have just noticed here in Australia that i can get an International barrel incorporated carbon wrapped barrel for around half the price of US/NZ barrel manufactures .

Cant find any info as far as weight reductions go but still tweaked my interest as i would like to build a light weight walk around rifle.

Most likely chambered in 6.5 Creedmore with the 22' barrel as majority of shots will inside 300 mtrs , with a muzzel brake to control muzzel jump for faster follow up shots.

I own a German gun stock the Predator version, inletted for a tikka action i bought a few years back and it didn't suit the job i had for it , coupled with an atlas works bottom metal.

If anyone has had some first had experience with this manufacture i would appreciate some pros and cons of there product .

This wont be a high volume rifle . lots of walking and looking not so much shooting i would anticipate the barrel break -in and load development would be the bulk of the work load for rifle .

jp

G'day,
I purchased one and it's with the gunsmith. I expect it will be OK as their steel barrels are getting good results.

I should collect mine by Christmas Eve, when will I shoot it? Mine will be a .280ai on a Tikka action with a Bolly or Precision Defence Industries Carbon Fibre stock.

I read that Proof Research barrels are great at about $1500, I paid $800 I think.

My idea is to have a lightweight walk around rifle, this will be in the .280ai,

It's my first custom and obscure chambering but I want to test myself, the barrel and my gunsmith as much as anything else.

I can maybe let you know how it shoots in a month. Probably with a go.

@Roo78 , are you around? I think they are worth a go. I have done some reading, read the comments and asked the questions. Not everyone is in favour but, if you want something different or just want to try a C/F barrel you can dip your toe in the pool to see if you like it.
I spoke with knowledgable members on another forum who are not wrapped in the idea of wrapped barrels but, I'm gonna try for myself and see how it goes. I'm a hunter not a target shooter so I hope , hope it works ok for my purpose.

Hi CBH

Been a while had forgotten about the post. It didn't raise any responses

I was trying to get some info myself as i was thinking the same thing you are. I was going to build a 6.5 creedmoore as a walk around rig. firing the Barnes 100 gr TTSx bullet.

Then i was going to buy a barrel and just give it a go regardless but could'nt get one .

So i gave up the idea and am currently having a 6.5 built with a stainless barrel in the same style i would have with the wrapped barrel, all tho it'll be heavier now.

keep my posted tho as im keen to see a locally built rig with a wrapped barrel. I see the potential for rigid/light weight rifles.

thanks for the reply

Hi CBH

Been a while had forgotten about the post. It didn't raise any responses

I was trying to get some info myself as i was thinking the same thing you are. I was going to build a 6.5 creedmoore as a walk around rig. firing the Barnes 100 gr TTSx bullet.

Then i was going to buy a barrel and just give it a go regardless but could'nt get one .

So i gave up the idea and am currently having a 6.5 built with a stainless barrel in the same style i would have with the wrapped barrel, all tho it'll be heavier now.

keep my posted tho as im keen to see a locally built rig with a wrapped barrel. I see the potential for rigid/light weight rifles.

thanks for the reply
Just as soon as I can , I joined this forum today. Cleavers have Howa Barrelled actions actions in a 6.5 cm quite cheap. Nothing against 6.5cm but I haven't gone there yet, but I Waited years to get my first 7mm, or actually my first 7mm-08. That I thought was going to be the great Aussie All Rounder. Actually I think it is but people on another forum started talking .7x57, then 7x 64 but hey that's really the same as the .280rem that was improved to .280ai and yeah so it goes. That does not suit you, for now. The 6.5 craze may pass.

I cannot comment on Muzzle Breaks but they are shunned on my other Forum, something to do with Professional Hunters in Africa not liking the noise. Honestly, I reckon I can follow up ok with my 7mm-08. Maybe you will find you won't need the break. Best of luck.

I am waiting on a new build using a KS Arms wolverine long action, iBi carbon fiber 26''barrel chambered in 6.5 PRC. Setting it in a Christensen arms aero grade carbon fiber sporter stock with Remington bottom metal. A Jewell trigger will be used and the barrel will be threaded for a break. Both the barrel and action are made here in Canada. Should be completed between now and March.

I'm sure you've decided since you posted in April. But a friend of mine has used IBI steel barrels for F class this past season here in Canada and was very impressed with the barrels. He just ordered a bunch more. I'll be ordering one here very soon.

I have one of their steel barrels, chambered and fitted by them in 6.5cm. Been accurate and cleans very easy. I ordered one of their carbon wraps in 6dasher. Should be here in a month or so, hopefully it shoots as well as the 6.5 barrel.

I Waited years to get my first 7mm, or actually my first 7mm-08. That I thought was going to be the great Aussie All Rounder. Actually I think it is but people on another forum started talking .7x57, then 7x 64 but hey that's really the same as the .280rem that was improved to .280ai and yeah so it goes.

That's the the same thought process that resulted in my having a 284win, a 7 rem mag, a 28 nosler, and a 7 rum....

"if I'm this close I might as well get the next one up...." 😅

Here is my rifle, I will load some ammo tommorow and test next week.
For a c/f barrel it does seem front heavy (26"), this gives the feel of a heavy rifle but overall it should be a lighter carry rifle and hopefully steady easily with the heavy feel toward the front. It would be interesting to compare to a factory carbon fibre option.

Attachments

• FullSizeR(1).jpg
    FullSizeR(1).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 512
I got two barrels since my last post - the carbon wrap 6 dasher and a pre-fit stainless for my cz457.
the 6 dasher was chambered/fitted for my zeus action by IBI, so far they have been great guys to deal with. It shoots consistently in the 3's with a couple different bullets.
Hoping the carbon tactical contour thats coming shoots that well, it will be a 300wsm on a hs precision action.