Anyone here fans of the 25-06?

Tagging in. Big fan of the .25-06 as it has the best killing power to recoil ratio i can think of, making it enjoyable to shoot but very effective all the way up to [and including] elk. Ruger M77 w/tang safety & 24" barrel is a sentimental favorite to shoot the baby-aught-six from.

I've got a donor Ruger 77 tang safety I've been indecisive about what to build for a few months now. Was going towards a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 Ackley Improved!!??? The 25-06 is also interesting, what does the 25-06 Ackley Improved version, look like, is it worth going in that direction?

The first Rifle I built is a 25-06 in 1965. I had an 03A3 from Monkey Ward I got for $17.95 and shot it as 30-06 for a couple of years and then had it rebarreled to 25-06. Because It was still a wildcat it is marked 25-06 Neidner. Sporterized by Hobaugh in Montana with a Fajen stock and a 30" straight taper barrel, 1:12 twist. Original load data came from Speer #3 and #6. HOT loads, since then they have been way reduced. Shoots projectiles up to 100 grains weight but won't handle the Hornady 120 H.P.. I now shoot cast lead and still have the original barrel.

Bought my first 25-06 in 1975 and have been shooting one ever since. I've used 87 gr Sierra SP, 90 gr Win PEP, 75 gr Sierra HP, 100 Nosler BT, 100 Nosler PT, 115 Nosler PT, 120 Nosler PT, 115 VLD, 100 Barnes TSX & TTSX and I'm now shooting 98 gr Sledge Hammers......@ 3375 fps, it's devastating! It's a great cartridge! I'll never be without one!
What powder ya using for the sledge hammers?

I like my 25-06AI. It shoots the 115 Berger at 3350 FPS with H1000 out of a 26" Krieger. Works great on whitetail.
I bought a 1917 Enfield. It shoots a .308 Norma Mag. necked down to .257 cal. I was shooting 100gr. bullets at 3,740 fps but backed off --- didn't want go burn my barrel out . It's pretty flat shooting. I'm using RL22 and 7828 . I've gotta try some of the new powders out .

Alibiiv, 25-06 AI is near identical to 6.5-06 AI with .007 less bore diameter! Really it's about whether you want a higher, heavier BC bullet (6.5mm) or prefer lighter, faster bullet. (25 cal)

There are getting to be some high BC 25 cal bullets now. Either is great choice.

I've got a donor Ruger 77 tang safety I've been indecisive about what to build for a few months now. Was going towards a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 Ackley Improved!!??? The 25-06 is also interesting, what does the 25-06 Ackley Improved version, look like, is it worth going in that direction?
If you are really looking to "go long" (let's say past 600 yards) then by all means, keep looking at the 6.5-06 options. The 6.5 just has some awesome bullets with high BC to play with, so it seems the logical route to go for people wanting to shoot far, far away.

But for ME, I am pretty much 'self-imposed' at about 550 yards for my max shot at game. (Shooting farther at inanimate objects is fun though!) Knowing that, I really don't need "super high BC" bullets to be happy and, that being the case, the .25-06 is a beauty. Light recoiling but flat shooting and able to reach out as far as I care to go.

As for the .25-06 AI, you already know the benefits from your experiences with the .270 AI; less case flow (and less trimming). A gain in velocity of about 100 to 150fps. Can still fire 'regular' .25-06 ammo in it. It's all good. And if you are spinning a new barrel on there, you can specify a fast twist and shoot those 131grain Blackjack target bullets in it, should you WANT to play with the high BC bullets out to 1000 yards.

I kinda like the 'standard' .25-06 twist though because it allows me to play with varmint weight bullets and use the gun for more things than just big game/hogs. It's just a fun gun to shoot; it is so versatile and doesn't beat you up. I think that's why it gets pulled out the safe more often than the 'big guns' - it's just more enjoyable to fire and yet, seems just as effective.

Alibiiv, 25-06 AI is near identical to 6.5-06 AI with .007 less bore diameter! Really it's about whether you want a higher, heavier BC bullet (6.5mm) or prefer lighter, faster bullet. (25 cal)

There are getting to be some high BC 25 cal bullets now. Either is great choice.

Great thank you for the information, much appreciated

Since others have mentioned cartridges other than 25-06 in this thread, I'll have to say that as much as I love my 25-06s, my 257 Roberts is my All-Time Favorite! Not too far behind the 25-06 in velocity and a Pure Joy to shoot! There are reasons it's still around, as well.

Ducky sounds like you just was not happy with the build but it's still a great caliber. Maybe you could sell that one and try to build you a 25-06 more to your taste . Merry Christmas to you and your family

You're right I'm not happy with the build, but I've moved on from the .25-06 and don't have any interest in the cartridge. I'm more of a .250 Savage fan these days. I can't complain how the rifle turned out, I haven't even shot 100 rounds through it yet. It's accurate but my tastes have changed as well from 15 years ago.

Zastava action with set triggers
Lilja #5 contour 26" barrel installed by High Tech Customs Inc.
Leupold rings and base
4-16X40 AO Bushnell Elite 4200 scope
It started life with a Monte Carlo exhibition grade Carlo Walnut stock, but ended up with a refinished Interarms Whitworth take off stock.

Original stock that snapped in two at the recoil lug, Carlo Walnut that had a defect in it.

Whitworth takeoff that I used to replace the original stock.

Finished product after I refinished the old Whitworth stock, had KG Gunkote applied, and changed out the scope and mounts.

I'd sell this rifle in a heartbeat even knowing I'd loose my butt on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.