25-06 ? anyone?

BBQ Warrior

I am wondering about barrel life in the 25-06 has anynone had any issues with barrel burning out at about 600 to 800 rounds? my dad got rid of his ruger 77mkII because the gun wouldnt shoot consistently. And now hes looking for a new gun, he still has alot of 25-06 ammo but would consider changing to a different caliber if this seems to be an inherent problem with the cartridge.

Thanks

25-06 isn't that radical. I'd guess there was another issue at hand, possibly copper fouling.

I have a Ruger in a MKII varmint in25-06. It has several thousand rounds through it and still shoots great!!! It really likes 85gr ballistic tips and 115gr Berger vlds. The bores on Rugers are generally rough and foul easily which is the case with mine. If I punch paper and am going to shoot a lot of rounds I use moly coated bullets! Even though the rifle will foul easily it will shoot very well with non-coated bullets for 30 to 40 rounds. Good Luck!

25-06 is a decent round!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.