Anyone here fans of the 25-06?

Rev Jim, what today's powders do for the 25-06 they also do for the 257 Bee ! Granted a 25-06, or better yet, 25-06 AI, have gotten closer to 257 Bee performance of old but the 257 Bee of new has also upped its game.

R26 gave me an easy 75-100 fps over R22 with similar pressure.

I have always wanted a 25-06. Finally got the chance to buy one from a customer. It is a Ruger No1 SV, 24" heavy barrel. Man that is one beautiful gun. Balance is surprisingly good. Now I have to decide on a scope for it. Going to use it mainly for deer and antelope here in Nevada.
26-06 is a great round. you'll love it!

I used a Rem 721 with a 22" barrel for a great many years. Out to 500 yards. That rifle produce under 3" groups at 500 yards. I could have gone out farther, but at that time there wasn't range finder like now days. I have shot Mules, pronghorn, and whitetail with that rifle. I started with 100 Gr Partition. it bloodshot the entire one side of the deer. Read more about the 100 Gr. Partition. The bullet was for velocity under 2900 fps. Changed to a Nosler 120 Gr Spitzer BT Solid Base and never had that problem again. The only problem is they don't build that bullet any longer. They do build a 115 gr Nosler Ballistic tip, and Sierra in a 117 Gr. SPBT. I used MRP powder and a fed 210 primer in any case. I have loaded for 4 different rifles in 25/06 over the years. They all produce 1/2 Min groups at a 100 yds. In my Nosler Reloading manual 1976 first printing in March of that year. They show a max load of 52 grains of MRP with a Rem 9 1/2 Primer and that what shot best in all of them. My Nosler reloading manual of 2015 is showing a 115 Gr. Ballistic Tip, with WLR primer, in a Win Case w/ Retumbo Powder Max Gr. of 57.5. Starting at 53.5 as low powder load. that's in a 24" barrel. Watch your case length! Light recoil and fun to shot.

The only reason I stop using that rifle was I started hunting elk and figure I needed a larger caliber rifle to use on them.

SSS
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.