Anyone here fans of the 25-06?

Love the 25-06. When I was in college used part of my grant money to buy a Model 70 classic sporter in 25-06. Yeah I know wise use of money haha. I've shot everything with it. It was my kids first elk rifle and I still grab it out of the safe for most of my deer hunts. A 115 gr bullet at 31-3200 FPS makes a great 700 yard deer gun. It will soon be rebarreled to a fast twist 25-06AI. Once I do that my 6.5s May never get any love anymore

Last edited:
About 15 years back I had an old pawnshop 30-06 Winchester model 70 Ranger. It shot like crap, but had a good action. I had Bison Barrels out of Gillette, WY build and install a 25-06 barrel. A new stock and bottom metal and it's a whole new rifle. It has been an excellent mule deer, whitetail and pronghorn rifle.

Yuppers,,, the old school cartridge is soon to turn 101 years old very soon,,, happy birthday Mr. 1/4" bore...

It took the back seat to the 270 Winchester,,, even the 6.5 A-square took a beating back then,,, the 280 took a bit to get off the ground as well...

Any-who,,, the flat plains shooters kept it rocking,,, had it not been for them,,, Wives,,, and younger up-and coming shooters it might of faded away...

The folks up in the far reaches of the North turned their noses up on this cartridge since it was considered to small for Moose,,, but times have changed on that old Wives tale since alot of folks recommend a 25/06 for light framed shooters and kids getting onto the hunting grounds...

I always get a chuckle when someone asks for advice on buying a 25 for their wife or kids to take up hunting,,, each and every post is on board with this,,, but when a fully grown man asks this same question he gets told it's to small and he should be picking up and 300 or 338...

Its the perfect cartridge for 1 group of hunters,,, but way to small for the grown up gentleman... Ha

Yet the 25/06 has successfully taken every critter here in our Americas and a fair share of game in Europe and Africa... It has its shooting limits like every other cartridge made...

I mentioned on other threads that I did the 6.5 A-square to try something different,,, when the time comes I'll scale up or down to a 25/06 or 270 factory cartridge,,, I have a few other rifles to plink with if life gets boring...

2 of my good friends in Northern Canada and 1 in Northern Ontario hunt Moose with the 25/06,,, we harvested 2 in the East last year...

They put nice little holes in the wrappers,,, it turns the insides into pudding...

Interlock or bounded's,,, Nosler Partions work awesome... They will punch threw a frozen 12" white popular tree like nothing...

What the 25 lacks in frontal impacts,,, it makes up for getting into the grind past the Wrapper...

Yuppers,,, the light framed shooters,,, kids and adults Wives like the offerings of the 1/4",,, Frugal and fun to shoot...

I gave out 2 new budget Remington 25/06 rifles as hunting gifts last year...

1 to 1 1/2 MOA out of the box with a """non""" solid shooting rest and poor eye sight with shake-y hands...

Not bad at all in my old hunting partners hands...

Cheers from the North

25/06
That was my third rifle. Use it for a great many years. It is a 721 Rem with a 22" barrel in 25/06. Taken somewhere around 50 deer with it. Started with 100 gr. Nosler Partition bullet. Firs deer it blood shot the entire left side of the deer.
Change to 120 SpBt Noslers bullets. (They don't Build that any more) That end that problem. Under 80 yards it would blood shot about a 2" dia area on point it enter, that it. The large amount of shots were heart shots. The deer moved from anywhere from dropped over or run about 125 yards.
Great deer rifle.
I didn't get a vel on that round. I used Fed. 210 primers, 52 grains of MRP power. It would group under 1/2" at hundred and under 3" at 500 yards. Killed deer at that longer range. Back then they didn't have range finders. I used a 2 x & 7 leupold scope with a dueplex cross hairs. I set up 18" target at 300,400, and 500 yard. Placing the scope power at 7 power. I would look at how much the 18" would fill the scope at the different ranges. At 400 yards I would place the cross hairs at the top of the back of that deer, at 500 yards I would place the change of the cross hairs on the verical cross hairs. Both location would place the group about 3" below the top of the back. Widths groups at 500 yards was about 3". I have a 25/06 in a 26" barrel group under a 1/2 at hundred yards. Never try at any longer than that.

Mike

I'm not small and I still love mine! I think it's really underrated. A 100Gr. Partition at
3300 works great on whitetails and I sure antelope won't like it either!
Today I just used a Copper Creek email and bought 2 boxes of 25-06 to try?
!00 Gr. TTSX and box of 115 Gr. Partitions. I know the Partitions will be fine
but I've never tried those TTSX..Who knows but I'll find out.

Last edited:
I went with. A 257 weatherby but in hind-site, a 25-06 would have been a better decision for me from a monetary perspective, and runs fast enough.

I'm not small and I still love mine! I think it's really underrated. A 100Gr. Partition at
3300 works great on whitetails and I sure antelope won't like it either!
Today I just used a Copper Creek email and bought 2 boxes of 25-06 to try?
!00 Gr. TTSX and box of 115 Gr. Partitions. I know the Partitions will be fine
but I've never tried those TTSX..Who knows but I'll find out.
We've killed more deer than I can even begin to remember with 100 gr TTSXs and TSXs in 25-06 and 257 Roberts......they'll work just fine!

Had my first 25-06 built in 1966. It was still a wildcat then. Made brass from 30-06 Match brass. On my 4th one now. I live in SW Kansas. Long ago settled on Sierra 100 gr. boat tails for every thing from prairie dogs and rabbits to deer and antelope. Only had one antelope and two deer that did not drop in their tracks. They did not go over 50 yards before dropping. Drops coyotes like a wet rag. Do not hunt elk anymore, bad knees, but used a 350 mag and a 338 mag when I did.

Lots of good comments and a wealth of information on this thread,,, purhaps going this route """might""" push me in this direction...

I started off with the world class 30/06,,, as the years went by I joined the Magnum League of players,,, just the small category of it...

7mm,,, lots of 300's,,, 338's and the old school 375 H&H,,, everyone needs a 375 you know... Ha

My plan was to hunt Elephants in Alaska until I realized that there weren't any up there... LOL...

I always had the standard small rifles when I was in the Magnum world,,, they didn't get much use,,, but it wasn't worth selling them at the time,,, so they got shelved... 6mm Remmy,,, 308,,, 7x57,,, and the old school 303 British... Oh,,, and a few 270's...

The rifle thing came to and end in 2000,,, I took up full time archery,,, lots of fun and time consuming... The in 2010 or 12 I jumped back into the hobby,,, of course I had to take on a 30/06,,, followed by two 308's and now a custom 6.5 A-square,,, its definitely a shooter,,, a fraction of reach past my 30 caliber rifles with alot less recoil,,, I built it for predator control and big game hunting,,, mostly for Elk up close,,, a 25/06 or 270 thing since my 65 fits into both of those categories,,, the split down the middle idea...

I'll check into this thread once in a while to find out if something like this would fit my needs,,, my good friend is switching over to the 25 after 30+++ years of 7mm Remmy Mag... He likes it alot,,, but the time has come to scale """up""" LOL...

I totally agree with him on his adventures,,, its all about the good stuff...

Cheers from the North

Lots of good comments and a wealth of information on this thread,,, purhaps going this route """might""" push me in this direction...

I started off with the world class 30/06,,, as the years went by I joined the Magnum League of players,,, just the small category of it...

7mm,,, lots of 300's,,, 338's and the old school 375 H&H,,, everyone needs a 375 you know... Ha

My plan was to hunt Elephants in Alaska until I realized that there weren't any up there... LOL...

I always had the standard small rifles when I was in the Magnum world,,, they didn't get much use,,, but it wasn't worth selling them at the time,,, so they got shelved... 6mm Remmy,,, 308,,, 7x57,,, and the old school 303 British... Oh,,, and a few 270's...

The rifle thing came to and end in 2000,,, I took up full time archery,,, lots of fun and time consuming... The in 2010 or 12 I jumped back into the hobby,,, of course I had to take on a 30/06,,, followed by two 308's and now a custom 6.5 A-square,,, its definitely a shooter,,, a fraction of reach past my 30 caliber rifles with alot less recoil,,, I built it for predator control and big game hunting,,, mostly for Elk up close,,, a 25/06 or 270 thing since my 65 fits into both of those categories,,, the split down the middle idea...

I'll check into this thread once in a while to find out if something like this would fit my needs,,, my good friend is switching over to the 25 after 30+++ years of 7mm Remmy Mag... He likes it alot,,, but the time has come to scale """up""" LOL...

I totally agree with him on his adventures,,, its all about the good stuff...

Cheers from the North

That's all you need to get is a "6.5 Creedmore" and throw all of those other rifles away, especially when you hunt those elephants in Alaska!! And....this is when the fight starts!!!!!!!!!!:mad:;):eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: The forum is a great source of good information, sometimes we agree and.......sometimes not quite so; but, nonetheless a good place to ask questions and get answers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.