Anyone here fans of the 25-06?

Anyone here fans of the 25-06?

Yes. For several decades, I've used the caliber on many things small and large up to and including elk. During the 90's, I even used a 26" varmint barrelled 25-06 loaded with 85NBT's being pushed by Norma MRP @ 3,600fps to make the 1,000 yard club in coyote (1 shot) and P-dog (3rd shot).

Back in the day and using the old Barnes 85g X in one 26", I loaded it over top of IMR-4831 to a "very warm" 3,750fps, and it was a laser to 400yds or so on whitetails. More recently, the 80gr TTSX loads over 3,800fps and expands better than the old X, but now, I mostly use the 110AB's @ 3,300fps

I will go out on a limb and say the class of the .06 case are the 25/06 and the 280. Both shine further in the AI format

The .257 100gr tsx barnes pounds deer and is easy to push hard

My friend that is taking on a 25/06 sent me this read that's Intresting for those that enjoy the good times...

https://www.chuckhawks.com/why_25-06.htm

The 25 is in the simple mix that seems to work on the thin or thick skins...

Of course there more suited to the CPX-1 and 2 category,,, but if a person closes the gap and chooses those bounded bullets it puts it on the edges of the CPX-3 category...

I've had good success with the bounded bullets from my 6.5 A-square,,, Grand Slams to Interlock and Partions,,, the Barnes along with Accunounds deliver the mail to...

As mentioned I just pick one up for the first time. And reading through this it appears everything (mostly) is in the 110-120 grain for "larger" game. Is it a fair assumption there is no difference between the 110 and 120? I just need to find out and test what my rifle likes the best?
I usually like heavier grain bullets even though they are slower but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 110's and 120's.

I have had several 25-06 over the years and they always done well in white tails, bullet selection was the only downfall to me. My current is an original Remington Sendero and is prettyaccurate. This is a group 3 shot group with the Berger 115s in HSM ammo and I don't event know how I came across the ammo lol.
B25DB0FA-BFB8-4202-AE27-E00328558823.jpeg

@Trekster
You get higher sectional density (SD) with the heavier bullet (120gr vs 110gr) which should translate into better penetration, all else being equal. So if you are going after elk, you would want to go w/the heaviest bullet that shoots accurately in your gun. But all things are not equal. A Nosler Partition will penetrate deeper than a cup & core bullet and a Barnes TSX/TTSX bullet will penetrate better still, so a 100 grain Barnes could easily out penetrate a 120 grain Sierra Game King or similar c&c type bullet.

For deer size game, bullet weight isn't as critical (thin skin/smaller body) so find a bullet that shoots well in your gun (avoiding the light weight varmit bullets) and you'll be fine.

@Trekster
You get higher sectional density (SD) with the heavier bullet (120gr vs 110gr) which should translate into better penetration, all else being equal. So if you are going after elk, you would want to go w/the heaviest bullet that shoots accurately in your gun. But all things are not equal. A Nosler Partition will penetrate deeper than a cup & core bullet and a Barnes TSX/TTSX bullet will penetrate better still, so a 100 grain Barnes could easily out penetrate a 120 grain Sierra Game King or similar c&c type bullet.

For deer size game, bullet weight isn't as critical (thin skin/smaller body) so find a bullet that shoots well in your gun (avoiding the light weight varmit bullets) and you'll be fine.
Thank you. Good info. Plowboy just mentioned the 115 VLD and playing in a ballistics app, it seems to be delivering great performance and carries the best (or close) energy at the distance I am interested in (around 500 yards). Im aware Berger is one of the most controversial bullets, but I do like it quite a bit.

I think the 25-06 is a very under-rated caliber. My experience is this caliber is great up to, and including elk, with the right bullet. The 25-06 also just seems to shoot accurately in most rifles and with most bullets - including factory ammo. I have also found it a pleasure to shoot since you can shoot all day and not deal with the recoil of larger calibers.

My "first" 25-06 was simply a Model 700 Classic .257 Roberts reamed to the Ackley Improved! ha I just wanted something "different". I could seat out the old Hornady 120HP and I pushed it hard with IMR4350. Sold it. Later in life I bought a 700 Classic in 25-06, used the Sierra 117 sbt on a mule deer doe, then had the rifle converted to 257 Wby. I killed my first "long range for me" animal with it. ( Blackbuck right at 375yds) Held dead on with +2" 115PT. Outfitter wanted it, bought it from me. I then got my old 257AI Back (15yrs later) my friend had cut its 24" barrel off to 21" and I just had a 24 25-06 take off barrel put on it. It too shot the 117 SBT very well. Later used another 257Wby /100TSX on exotics, sold it too. Long story short, I never kept either cartridge around but between them, a 24" 25-06 (especially with todays new powders) makes the 257Wby kind of redundant, at lest to me. Its a sweetheart.

Alibiiv, 25-06 AI is near identical to 6.5-06 AI with .007 less bore diameter! Really it's about whether you want a higher, heavier BC bullet (6.5mm) or prefer lighter, faster bullet. (25 cal)

There are getting to be some high BC 25 cal bullets now. Either is great choice.

Yep, the 131BJ with its more accurate/revised .345 bc is right there with the 156 Eol (.347 bc).
I ran the attached numbers based on the reported velocities I found for the 6.5-06ai and 156 (3100) vs 25-06ai and 131 (3200). The 25 is a little flatter. The 6.5 carries a little more energy. But as far as I'm going to shoot at deer sized game it wouldn't matter. Though people will claim it's over kill, I always look at 1500 ft/lbs of energy. The 25 carries that to about 700 yards, the 6.5 gets you all the way to 800. Both are farther than I'd shoot at animals. I'll take the lower recoil. It's probably my next build.

What I'm curious to find out is how light varmint bullets will do in a fast twist 25-06ai. If they work it will be a pretty versatile varmint to big game rig.
Screenshot_20191228-114036_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191228-113916_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191228-114036_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191228-113916_Chrome.jpg

Yep, the 131BJ with its more accurate/revised .345 bc is right there with the 156 Eol (.347 bc).
I ran the attached numbers based on the reported velocities I found for the 6.5-06ai and 156 (3100) vs 25-06ai and 131 (3200). The 25 is a little flatter. The 6.5 carries a little more energy. But as far as I'm going to shoot at deer sized game it wouldn't matter. Though people will claim it's over kill, I always look at 1500 ft/lbs of energy. The 25 carries that to about 700 yards, the 6.5 gets you all the way to 800. Both are farther than I'd shoot at animals. I'll take the lower recoil. It's probably my next build.

What I'm curious to find out is how light varmint bullets will do in a fast twist 25-06ai. If they work it will be a pretty versatile varmint to big game rig.

Am I following you correctly to state you have 131 grain 25 cal bullet? The highest I've seen is 120. thanks for the clarification.

Am I following you correctly to state you have 131 grain 25 cal bullet? The highest I've seen is 120. thanks for the clarification.
If you do a search for Black Jack Bullets you will find the 131gr Black Jack he is referring to. You will also find reamers for a host of .25s and barrels with fast enough twist to stabilize it. If you do a search on this site you will find all sorts of ideas to take advantage of these bullets. Below is a link to one of the threads on this site if I did this correctly.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...blackjack-bullets-for-you-to-drool-on.204117/

Dave

Last edited:
I have always wanted a 25-06. Finally got the chance to buy one from a customer. It is a Ruger No1 SV, 24" heavy barrel. Man that is one beautiful gun. Balance is surprisingly good. Now I have to decide on a scope for it. Going to use it mainly for deer and antelope here in Nevada.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.